* gitk translate msg files not installed correctly
@ 2021-08-18 14:12 yan ke
From: yan ke @ 2021-08-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Junio C Hamano

Hi all,
 I found a problem with the gitk translation msg file in windows, the
details are below:
1. The default gitk msg dir in windows is
[git_install_dir]\mingw64\share\gitk\lib\msgs, but the install process
does not install gitk msgs, no that dir exists
2. I use innoextract to unpack the git windows install
file(Git-2.33.0-64-bit.exe ), and I find that the gitk translate msg
files are not in the package ,is this correct?

So I think the gitk translation in windows does not work correctly, or
something i find is wrong?

* Re: gitk translate msg files not installed correctly
@ 2021-08-18 18:11 ` mha1993
From: mha1993 @ 2021-08-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yan ke; +Cc: git, Junio C Hamano, Johannes Schindelin

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021, yan ke wrote:

> Hi all,
> I found a problem with the gitk translation msg file in windows, the
> details are below:
> 1. The default gitk msg dir in windows is
> [git_install_dir]\mingw64\share\gitk\lib\msgs, but the install process
> does not install gitk msgs, no that dir exists
> 2. I use innoextract to unpack the git windows install
> file(Git-2.33.0-64-bit.exe ), and I find that the gitk translate msg
> files are not in the package ,is this correct?

Yes, Git for Windows intentionally doesn't ship l10n files [1]. There have
been a few requests for installers with l10n in 2015 [2][3][4][5][6] and
2016 [7][8], but not much ever happened there. The Git for Windows installer
can be built with l10n [9], but that doesn't seem to currently include the
files for gitk or git-gui.

[1] https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/commit/ed79a9d8206cea8055e5226af068db700e0d6fc8
[2] https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/378
[3] https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/386