* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-09 13:07 Frank Hunleth
From: Frank Hunleth @ 2017-05-09 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

I'd very much like to update the version of Erlang used in Buildroot.
I had been doing this quite a while ago, but stopped pushing my
changes upstream due to ejabberd breaking. I don't use ejabberd.
Updating it and all of its dependencies to work with more recent
Erlang versions is turning out to be quite a bit of work and I don't
know how to test it to make sure that I didn't break anything.

Erlang 20 will be released soon and it has some really interesting
improvements that would be great to have available by default in
Buildroot. (BR currently has Erlang 18.3; 19.3 is the current
release). Is there anyone out there who would mind helping update
ejabberd? Johan - you're listed as the ejabberd package maintainer,
could you help? Or if not Johan, is anyone else interested?

Thanks,
Frank

* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-09 13:44 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2017-05-09 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Frank,

 > I'd very much like to update the version of Erlang used in Buildroot.
 > I had been doing this quite a while ago, but stopped pushing my
 > changes upstream due to ejabberd breaking. I don't use ejabberd.
 > Updating it and all of its dependencies to work with more recent
 > Erlang versions is turning out to be quite a bit of work and I don't
 > know how to test it to make sure that I didn't break anything.

 > Erlang 20 will be released soon and it has some really interesting
 > improvements that would be great to have available by default in
 > Buildroot. (BR currently has Erlang 18.3; 19.3 is the current
 > release). Is there anyone out there who would mind helping update
 > ejabberd? Johan - you're listed as the ejabberd package maintainer,
 > could you help? Or if not Johan, is anyone else interested?

Added Johan in To:.

Thanks for bringing it up, it would indeed be good to get our erlang
package updated. In the worst case, if nobody wants to do the work to
keep ejabberd uptodate and compatible with newer erlang versions then I
think the way forward is to drop the ejabberd package.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-09 15:34   ` Bernd Kuhls
From: Bernd Kuhls @ 2017-05-09 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Am Tue, 09 May 2017 15:44:06 +0200 schrieb Peter Korsgaard:

> Hi Frank,
>
>  > I'd very much like to update the version of Erlang used in Buildroot.
>  > I had been doing this quite a while ago, but stopped pushing my
>  > changes upstream due to ejabberd breaking. I don't use ejabberd.
>  > Updating it and all of its dependencies to work with more recent
>  > Erlang versions is turning out to be quite a bit of work and I don't
>  > know how to test it to make sure that I didn't break anything.
>
>  > Erlang 20 will be released soon and it has some really interesting
>  > improvements that would be great to have available by default in
>  > Buildroot. (BR currently has Erlang 18.3; 19.3 is the current
>  > release). Is there anyone out there who would mind helping update
>  > ejabberd? Johan - you're listed as the ejabberd package maintainer,
>  > could you help? Or if not Johan, is anyone else interested?
>
> Added Johan in To:.
>
> Thanks for bringing it up, it would indeed be good to get our erlang
> package updated. In the worst case, if nobody wants to do the work to
> keep ejabberd uptodate and compatible with newer erlang versions then I
> think the way forward is to drop the ejabberd package.

Hi,

+1 for dropping ejabberd. For my couchdb server I need erlang which I
privately updated to 19.3 without problems. I hesitated to send these
patches after seeing the same problem as Frank: Updating ejabberd will
not be easy...

Regards, Bernd

* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-09 16:37     ` Johan Oudinet
From: Johan Oudinet @ 2017-05-09 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Le 9 mai 2017 5:35 PM, "Bernd Kuhls" <bernd.kuhls@t-online.de> a ?crit :

>  > I'd very much like to update the version of Erlang used in Buildroot.
>  > I had been doing this quite a while ago, but stopped pushing my
>  > changes upstream due to ejabberd breaking. I don't use ejabberd.
>  > Updating it and all of its dependencies to work with more recent
>  > Erlang versions is turning out to be quite a bit of work and I don't
>  > know how to test it to make sure that I didn't break anything.
>
>  > Erlang 20 will be released soon and it has some really interesting
>  > improvements that would be great to have available by default in
>  > Buildroot. (BR currently has Erlang 18.3; 19.3 is the current
>  > release). Is there anyone out there who would mind helping update
>  > ejabberd? Johan - you're listed as the ejabberd package maintainer,
>  > could you help? Or if not Johan, is anyone else interested?
>
> Added Johan in To:.
>
> Thanks for bringing it up, it would indeed be good to get our erlang
> package updated. In the worst case, if nobody wants to do the work to
> keep ejabberd uptodate and compatible with newer erlang versions then I
> think the way forward is to drop the ejabberd package.

Hi,

+1 for dropping ejabberd. For my couchdb server I need erlang which I
privately updated to 19.3 without problems. I hesitated to send these
patches after seeing the same problem as Frank: Updating ejabberd will
not be easy...

I won't have time to work on updating ejabberd this week but I can have a
look next week.
Feel free to upgrade erlang in the meantime even if it breaks ejabberd.

Best,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-09 19:42       ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2017-05-09 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Tue, 9 May 2017 18:37:27 +0200, Johan Oudinet wrote:

> I won't have time to work on updating ejabberd this week but I can have a
> look next week.
> Feel free to upgrade erlang in the meantime even if it breaks ejabberd.

Anyway the "master" branch is closed to version bumps, so new version
bumps will go in the "next" branch. We can therefore take the erlang
bump, and merge later the ejabberd bump.

Or perhaps, we will not even have merged the erlang bump by the time
your work on bumping ejabberd.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-11 13:24         ` Frank Hunleth
From: Frank Hunleth @ 2017-05-11 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello all,

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 9 May 2017 18:37:27 +0200, Johan Oudinet wrote:
>
>> I won't have time to work on updating ejabberd this week but I can have a
>> look next week.
>> Feel free to upgrade erlang in the meantime even if it breaks ejabberd.
>
> Anyway the "master" branch is closed to version bumps, so new version
> bumps will go in the "next" branch. We can therefore take the erlang
> bump, and merge later the ejabberd bump.
>
> Or perhaps, we will not even have merged the erlang bump by the time
> your work on bumping ejabberd.

I submitted a version bump patch for erlang. I'll check back
periodically on how the ejabberd work goes since it sounds like
there's some time before any changes would make their way to "master".

Thanks!
Frank

* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-30 14:57           ` Johan Oudinet
From: Johan Oudinet @ 2017-05-30 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Frank,

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Frank Hunleth
<fhunleth@troodon-software.com> wrote:

> I submitted a version bump patch for erlang. I'll check back
> periodically on how the ejabberd work goes since it sounds like
> there's some time before any changes would make their way to "master".

I've just submitted a version bump patch for ejabberd, which is
compatible with erlang 19.03.
Christophe Romain helped in this process by sending me a preliminary
version of this patch.

Best,
--
Johan

* [Buildroot] Upgrading Erlang and ejabberd
@ 2017-05-30 15:09             ` Frank Hunleth
From: Frank Hunleth @ 2017-05-30 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Johan,

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Johan Oudinet <johan.oudinet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Frank Hunleth
> <fhunleth@troodon-software.com> wrote:
>>
>> I submitted a version bump patch for erlang. I'll check back
>> periodically on how the ejabberd work goes since it sounds like
>> there's some time before any changes would make their way to "master".
>>

> I've just submitted a version bump patch for ejabberd, which is
> compatible with erlang 19.03.
> Christophe Romain helped in this process by sending me a preliminary
> version of this patch.

Great! Thank you both for fixing ejabberd.

Frank