From: Busby <chaimvy@gmail.com>
To: Mike Snitzer <snitzer@redhat.com>
Cc: device-mapper development <dm-devel@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Does dm-thin support GC (garbage collection) ?
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 15:21:31 +0800	[thread overview]

   I have tested that the blocks were reused in the other thin-lun of
this pool  when deleted a thin-lun .
   How can the blocks allocated for the thin-lun be dynamically
reclaimed? (use some method like 'discard' to tell the pool which
block should be reclaimed and whether the pool can reclaim it ?).
   When I mounted a filesystem on a thin-lun, create 4G bytes file
firstly, the pool have decreased  4G space, then I deleted the file,
the pool did not increase the size as I thought, after this, create a
5G file, then the pool would decrease 1G size. So I think if the
thin-lun max size was allocated, the blocks will never be reclaimed
till the lun be deleted?
    Sorry for my ignorance.

Regards,
Busby