* Using Babeltrace to write CTF for MPI application
@ 2017-04-04 21:29 Rocky Dunlap
From: Rocky Dunlap @ 2017-04-04 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

I am instrumenting an MPI application to output a custom application trace
in CTF using Babeltrace 1.5.2.  I would like to end up with a single trace
with multiple streams, one per process.  All streams share the same stream
class (and metadata). All processes have access to the same file system.  I
am using the C CTF writer API using this test as an example:
https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/blob/stable-1.5/tests/lib/test_ctf_writer.c

What I have in mind is something like this: process 0 would be responsible
for writing the metadata and its own stream, while all other processes
would only need to write their own stream.

The issue I have run into is that the individual stream file names are
determined by appending stream->id to the stream filename and the stream id
is determined behind the scenes as stream->id =
stream_class->next_stream_id++.  Since each process has its own address
space, all processes want stream id of 0.

Is there a way using the current API to explicitly set the stream id so
that each process will write to a separate file?

I'm also open for suggestions on the overall approach.  The main reason to
have each process as a separate stream in a single trace is so that I can
open the entire trace in an analysis tool like TraceCompass and see all
processes together.

Rocky

* Re: Using Babeltrace to write CTF for MPI application
       [not found] <CAK-w0DeOHsrygOt4CLVBB55edg6W+hrEzX2+A-UwFn6E14HDoQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-04-04 23:52 ` Jonathan Rajotte Julien
From: Jonathan Rajotte Julien @ 2017-04-04 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

Hi Rocky,

Not sure if pertinent but did you take a look at the barectf [1] project?

Cheers

[1] https://github.com/efficios/barectf

On 2017-04-04 05:29 PM, Rocky Dunlap wrote:
> I am instrumenting an MPI application to output a custom application trace in CTF using Babeltrace 1.5.2.  I would like to end up with a single trace with multiple streams, one per process.  All streams share the same stream class (and metadata). All processes have access to the same file system.  I am using the C CTF writer API using this test as an example:
> https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/blob/stable-1.5/tests/lib/test_ctf_writer.c
>
> What I have in mind is something like this: process 0 would be responsible for writing the metadata and its own stream, while all other processes would only need to write their own stream.
>
> The issue I have run into is that the individual stream file names are determined by appending stream->id to the stream filename and the stream id is determined behind the scenes as stream->id = stream_class->next_stream_id++.  Since each process has its own address space, all processes want stream id of 0.
>
> Is there a way using the current API to explicitly set the stream id so that each process will write to a separate file?
>
> I'm also open for suggestions on the overall approach.  The main reason to have each process as a separate stream in a single trace is so that I can open the entire trace in an analysis tool like TraceCompass and see all processes together.
>
> Rocky

Jonathan R. Julien
Efficios