Sorry, the email went out too early accidentally, just ignore it for now, I still have to fill in the template. 2017-03-23 8:18 GMT+01:00 Felix Schmoll : > Hi, > > so I've been reading up on the task quite a bit now and I'd be thankful if > you could clarify what exactly you're looking for with the execution path. > The AFL-fuzzer seems to make use just of a rather simple representation of > that (https://lwn.net/Articles/674854/), so you would just have to insert > this snippet: > > cur_location = ; > shared_mem[cur_location ^ prev_location]++; > prev_location = cur_location >> 1; > > at every edge, i.e. into *__sanitizer_cov_trace_pc* and somehow set up a > shared memory section between kernel (where you'd run the fuzzer) and > hypervisor. That might however just be true for AFL and not for other > coverage-guided fuzzers, so maybe that's the problem. For the fuzzer to > work I'd also have to implement some templates on what hypercalls are > available and what arguments they expect, but that would still not fill > three months, so I'm assuming that I'm fundamentally missing something here. > > On another note, would it be possible to apply for a second project > without having to do another task (Adding Floating Point support to > Mini-OS) without having to do another patch? > I added Juergen Gross in the recipients for this. I'd still be prefer the > fuzzing project in case I can figure out a useful proposal, but the idea > for the floating point project seems much clearer, so I figured to have > something along the following lines as my proposal (I also assumed that the > template you provide [https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSo > C_Student_Application_Template] is still active): > > 1) Personal Information > > *1.1) Full Name: Felix Ekkehard Schmoll* > > *1.2) Email:* > > *1.3) Other contact information* (Optional): whatever you like here> > > *1.4) Other applications:* have you applied to or do you plan to apply to > other Google Summer of Code projects for other organizations? > > *1.5) Previous experience:* have you been part of the Google Summer of > Code in the past or OPW in the past? (if so, link to your work) > > *1.6) Time commitment:* we'd also like to know whether you're planning to > work full-time on the project, or do you have other commitments (e.g. > full/part time jobs, summer classes) during the summer? (It's no problem > either way, but useful for us to know) > > *1.7) Other programs:* please let us know whether you have applied to > other student and/or intern programs such as Outreachy and list the ones > you applied to > 2) Preparation done so far > > Note that the following questions are *not required* for an application. > However, demonstrating that you have dealt with these following questions > will make sure that you can get started quickly on the project and will > give you an edge compared to other applicants. > > *2.1) Hardware*: (Have you checked, whether you have the right Hardware > to complete the project - see Outreachy/Hypervisor > in particular for > Hypervisor projects. Link to any public threads on mailing lists, where you > discussed hardware requirements and summarise the outcome.) > > *2.2) Ability to Build and Test*: (Being able to build the project from > source and run it, is the first hurdle when trying to get started. If you > manage to do this, you are pretty much set for development. Thus, we > recommend that you work with your mentor to build the project - maybe with > an extra log entry added to the code, deploy it, run it and share the logs > with the mentor on the developer list. Link to any public threads on > mailing lists, where you discussed hardware requirements and summarise the > outcome.) > > *2.3) Make a Small Contribution*: (Small contributions show that you > understand the workflow within the community. We always have a lot of small > issues that can be fixed. If you have done so, link to any public patches > you may have posted.) > > *2.4) Other*: (List any other preparation tasks that you may have > performed here) > 3) Proposed Project > > *3.1) Project Category for which you are applying* (Xen Hypervisor, The > XAPI toolstack, Mirage OS, Windows PV Drivers, Embedded & Automotive > Drivers, ... these are in the main table on the project's proposal page): > > *3.2) Title for your proposal* (for example "Virtio on Xen"): > > *3.3) Link to original proposal* (link to the original proposal on the > project's proposal page; if it is a project you proposed please state here): > 4) Implementation Plan > > *4.1) Detailed Problem Description* (Provide a high-level overview > textual description of the problem): > > *4.2) Implementation Plan* (Provide as much detail and organisation as > you can. Discuss with your mentor. Make sure you build in sufficient time > for learning and getting up to speed. The questions in section 2 will help > you and are very valuable to create a plan) : > > *4.3) Expected Outcomes/Goals:* (List the main outcomes that you will > deliver during the program - this does not have to be perfect. It is also a > good idea to link to a discussion on the relevant public mailing list here > to give us some context. As an aside, it will also help you as well. Set > some minimum outcomes/goals and stretch outcomes/goals - these are nice to > have's. If you have experience with or prefer agile development > methodologies, write down what you would like to achieve in different > scrums. That's perfectly OK: you may want to discuss with your mentor - > he/she can act as product owner or scrum master if you want. Do agree with > him/her upfront.) > > *4.4) Timeline* (Be specific and as complete as you can. Discuss > feasibility with your mentor. Build in some buffers and set some stretch > goals. This will help you with progress and motivation! ): > > *4.5) Maintenance: (optional)* Think about how much maintenance you think > the code you write is likely to require. Your mentor will have a good idea > about this and you may want to discuss with him or her. Trying to estimate > this is a good work skill. If not too much, think about whether you would > like to be involved in maintaining your code after the project finishes and > let us know. > 5) Let us know how much help you need > > *5.1 Describe experience* with Domain Support, Xen Hypervisor, The XAPI > toolstack, Mirage OS, Windows PV Drivers, Embedded & Automotive Drivers (as > appropriate): > > *5.2) Other experience:* describe relevant experience that you have (If > possible, describe what uniquely qualifies you for this proposal): > > *5.3) Learning and support:* describe the part(s) of the proposed plan do > you expect to be most difficult ( Include the specific types of of mentor > help you think you will need for the part(s): > > *5.4) Hardware (if not done in 2.1)* let us know what Hardware and > Software that you have for development (exact model number, etc.). Some > projects require certain features in your Hardware such that you can do > development. Also note that in some cases, it may be possible to loan you > Hardware for development: > > *5.5)* Describe the part(s) of the proposed plan do you expect to be > easiest: > > 2017-03-22 12:21 GMT+01:00 Wei Liu : > >> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:54:38AM +0100, Felix Schmoll wrote: >> > >> > Got it working! Thanks for all the help, will look into the "actual" >> task >> > now :D >> >> That's good. >> >> IIRC the application is now open. Don't forget to submit your proposal. >> >> Wei. >> >> > >> > > >> > > Wei. >> > > >> > >