* OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-01 14:04 Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2018-11-01 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, openembedded-core, yocto-advocacy

Hello Fellow YP/OE Enthusiasts!

There were discussions at our recent OEDEM regarding:
- our next developers meeting
- SCaLE 2019
- expanding/adding to the YP/OE presence at conferences (i.e. our own
  miniconf?)

Please see time indices: 12:13 and 16:45
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YDAHjIOXCIgvSZVOKCYLxa8h26dkruX8zspoge7zCpk

Unfortunately, although lots of opinions were expressed, nothing concrete was
decided. Many people pointed out that their travel budgets are already
strained or maxed out, so adding another conference would be difficult if not
impossible. It's unclear how many "core" YP/OE people might show up at next
year's SCaLE. Also, given that this year's ELC scheduling hiccup is a one-off,
maybe it doesn't make as much sense to put in all the work required to run an
OEDAM at SCaLE if it's only ever going to happen once. Therefore I think I can
safely say the organizing committee for YP/OE Things at SCaLE 2019 is leaning
towards not running an OEDAM.

It's not too late to change our plans. If a large number of core people reply
to this email saying they want and OEDAM in March and will be available in
Pasadena, then we could accommodate it. It's just that we didn't leave
Edinburgh with the feeling that an OEDAM at SCaLE was feasible. Also, at this
point SCaLE isn't on the radars of many of the core YP/OE people, and
currently the conference tends to attract users rather than developers (or so
is my impression).

Thoughts?

Best regards,
	Trevor

* Re: [OE-core] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-01 15:32   ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2018-11-01 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, yocto, openembedded-core, yocto-advocacy

Trevor,

On 11/1/18 7:04 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hello Fellow YP/OE Enthusiasts!
>
> There were discussions at our recent OEDEM regarding:
> - our next developers meeting
> - SCaLE 2019
> - expanding/adding to the YP/OE presence at conferences (i.e. our own
>   miniconf?)
>
> Please see time indices: 12:13 and 16:45
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YDAHjIOXCIgvSZVOKCYLxa8h26dkruX8zspoge7zCpk

Could you please give us a day's notice the next time so we can properly
set the perms for our minutes.

- armin

* Re: OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-01 15:32   ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2018-11-01 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, yocto, openembedded-core, yocto-advocacy

* Re: [OE-core] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-01 15:48     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2018-11-01 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808
  Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:32 PM akuster808 <akuster808@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trevor,
>

> On 11/1/18 7:04 AM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> > Please see time indices: 12:13 and 16:45
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YDAHjIOXCIgvSZVOKCYLxa8h26dkruX8zspoge7zCpk
>
> Could you please give us a day's notice the next time so we can properly
> set the perms for our minutes.

Will do, sorry!

From: Trevor Woerner @ 2018-11-01 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808
  Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy,

@ 2018-11-01 19:56   ` Jon Mason
From: Jon Mason @ 2018-11-01 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twoerner; +Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:04 AM Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Fellow YP/OE Enthusiasts!
>
> There were discussions at our recent OEDEM regarding:
> - our next developers meeting
> - SCaLE 2019
> - expanding/adding to the YP/OE presence at conferences (i.e. our own
>   miniconf?)
>
> Please see time indices: 12:13 and 16:45
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YDAHjIOXCIgvSZVOKCYLxa8h26dkruX8zspoge7zCpk
>
> Unfortunately, although lots of opinions were expressed, nothing concrete was
> decided. Many people pointed out that their travel budgets are already
> strained or maxed out, so adding another conference would be difficult if not
> impossible. It's unclear how many "core" YP/OE people might show up at next
> year's SCaLE. Also, given that this year's ELC scheduling hiccup is a one-off,
> maybe it doesn't make as much sense to put in all the work required to run an
> OEDAM at SCaLE if it's only ever going to happen once. Therefore I think I can
> safely say the organizing committee for YP/OE Things at SCaLE 2019 is leaning
> towards not running an OEDAM.
>
> It's not too late to change our plans. If a large number of core people reply
> to this email saying they want and OEDAM in March and will be available in
> Pasadena, then we could accommodate it. It's just that we didn't leave
> Edinburgh with the feeling that an OEDAM at SCaLE was feasible. Also, at this
> point SCaLE isn't on the radars of many of the core YP/OE people, and
> currently the conference tends to attract users rather than developers (or so
> is my impression).
>
> Thoughts?

I am planning on being at SCaLE (assuming the OEDEM happens there).

Many corporate travel budgets are tied to presenting at conferences.
So, if we could somehow get a track there (which might be too late in
the game to do now), then we might be able to get enough people
present to make it happen and pull in others whose budget is more
flexible.

Thanks,
Jon

* Re: OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-01 19:56   ` Jon Mason
From: Jon Mason @ 2018-11-01 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twoerner; +Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy, openembedded-core

* Re: [OE-core] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-01 20:00     ` darknighte
From: darknighte @ 2018-11-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdmason; +Cc: Yocto Project, openembedded-core, yocto-advocacy

OE folks,

  The OE board hasn't made a final decision yet, but plan to make one
soon.  We will send an update as soon as we have.
  In the meantime, if folks who are interested in attending something
at SCaLE, it will be factored into the board's decision making
process.

* Re: OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-01 20:00     ` darknighte
From: darknighte @ 2018-11-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdmason; +Cc: Yocto Project, openembedded-core, yocto-advocacy

* Re: [OE-core] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-02  2:27     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2018-11-02  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdmason
  Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Jon,

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM Jon Mason <jdmason@kudzu.us> wrote:

> I am planning on being at SCaLE (assuming the OEDEM happens there).
>
> Many corporate travel budgets are tied to presenting at conferences.
> So, if we could somehow get a track there (which might be too late in
> the game to do now), then we might be able to get enough people
> present to make it happen and pull in others whose budget is more
> flexible.

As it turns out, I'll be organising the YP/OE Miniconf that will most
likely be run on the Sunday. I was going to send out a separate email
discussing the Miniconf, but I guess now is as good a time as any :-)

While it's true that the CFP has closed for SCaLE, I plan to open my own
CFP specifically for the Miniconf, and I don't plan to close it until
closer to the conference itself. I want to encourage people to give talks
about current things, as such, having a CFP close this early wouldn't do.

We haven't decided on a format for the Miniconf, exactly, if we have
traditional talks, we'll have 6 sessions (2 before lunch, 4 after). But
depending on interest and what sort of proposals we get, we might do some
longer, some shorter talks.

 I hope this helps. Best regards,

From: Trevor Woerner @ 2018-11-02  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jdmason
  Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy,

@ 2018-11-02 15:57       ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2018-11-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, jdmason
  Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Morning Trevor,

On 11/1/18 7:27 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM Jon Mason <jdmason@kudzu.us
> <mailto:jdmason@kudzu.us>> wrote:
>
>     I am planning on being at SCaLE (assuming the OEDEM happens there).
>
>     Many corporate travel budgets are tied to presenting at conferences.
>     So, if we could somehow get a track there (which might be too late in
>     the game to do now), then we might be able to get enough people
>     present to make it happen and pull in others whose budget is more
>     flexible.
>

> As it turns out, I'll be organising the YP/OE Miniconf that will most
> likely be run on the Sunday. I was going to send out a separate email
> discussing the Miniconf, but I guess now is as good a time as any :-)

I would like a some clarification. As fas as the OE Board knows, we had
one room available on Sunday. Is this the same room or did you find some
other space at the venue? I am a bit confused about the messaging. The
subject and Jon's statement are all about OEDaM but your addition to
this tread is about a Miniconf. Is the Miniconf a separate thing?

> While it's true that the CFP has closed for SCaLE, I plan to open my
> own CFP specifically for the Miniconf, and I don't plan to close it
> until closer to the conference itself. I want to encourage people to
> give talks about current things, as such, having a CFP close this
> early wouldn't do.
>
> We haven't decided on a format for the Miniconf, exactly, if we have
> traditional talks, we'll have 6 sessions (2 before lunch, 4 after).
> But depending on interest and what sort of proposals we get, we might
> do some longer, some shorter talks.

May I ask who "We" are? AFAIK, Behan and Tom are doing a *-ale tracks at
Scale.

- armin

* Re: OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-02 15:57       ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2018-11-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner, jdmason
  Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy,

* Re: [OE-core] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019
@ 2018-11-02 21:51         ` Sean Hudson
From: Sean Hudson @ 2018-11-02 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808, Trevor Woerner, jdmason
  Cc: Yocto discussion list, yocto-advocacy,

On 11/2/18 10:57 AM, akuster808 wrote:
> Morning Trevor,
>
> On 11/1/18 7:27 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM Jon Mason <jdmason@kudzu.us
>> <mailto:jdmason@kudzu.us>> wrote:
>>
>>     I am planning on being at SCaLE (assuming the OEDEM happens there).
>>
>>     Many corporate travel budgets are tied to presenting at conferences.
>>     So, if we could somehow get a track there (which might be too late in
>>     the game to do now), then we might be able to get enough people
>>     present to make it happen and pull in others whose budget is more
>>     flexible.
>>

>> As it turns out, I'll be organising the YP/OE Miniconf that will most
>> likely be run on the Sunday. I was going to send out a separate email
>> discussing the Miniconf, but I guess now is as good a time as any :-)
>

> I would like a some clarification. As fas as the OE Board knows, we had
> one room available on Sunday. Is this the same room or did you find some
> other space at the venue? I am a bit confused about the messaging. The
> subject and Jon's statement are all about OEDaM but your addition to
> this tread is about a Miniconf. Is the Miniconf a separate thing?
>

>> While it's true that the CFP has closed for SCaLE, I plan to open my
>> own CFP specifically for the Miniconf, and I don't plan to close it
>> until closer to the conference itself. I want to encourage people to
>> give talks about current things, as such, having a CFP close this
>> early wouldn't do.
>>
>> We haven't decided on a format for the Miniconf, exactly, if we have
>> traditional talks, we'll have 6 sessions (2 before lunch, 4 after).
>> But depending on interest and what sort of proposals we get, we might
>> do some longer, some shorter talks.
>

> May I ask who "We" are? AFAIK, Behan and Tom are doing a *-ale tracks at
> Scale.

Trevor,

  The OpenEmbedded board had a quick discussion and would like to share
a few things.
  First, the board fully supports any OpenEmbedded member organizing
community events.
  Second, thank you for stepping up to organize such an event.  We
greatly appreciate it and will support you as best we can.

  Third, the desire for user-centric events or a separate conference
entirely has been discussed at several of the recent developer meetings,
while at the same time, we've seen a growing number of users attending
these meetings "just to observe".  It sounds like the event that you are
starting to organize at SCaLE presents the perfect opportunity to start
creating such a user-centric meeting.

 Lastly, as was brought up at the meeting in Edinburgh, this is all
occurring *very* late for conference planning, which adds greatly to
everyone's stress and angst.

  With that said, the board does have a concern, a request, and a
suggestion. (triple threat!)

  The concern arises from the history associated with the OEDEM and
OEDAM names/meetings.  Specifically, we are concerned about possible
confusion that may arise from overusing those terms.  FWIW, members
expressed this at the last several developer meetings publicly and have
also expressed reservations to board members privately. For many,
employers will only pay for them to go to a single "meeting" a year.
This means we need to make it easy for users, developers, and their
employers to know what type of meeting is being held.

  So, we request that you call the event that you are organizing an
OpenEmbedded User Summit, or something similar.  We think this will help
clarify things and it also preserves the use of the "official",
OpenEmbedded Developer Meetings terms, e.g. OEDEM or OEDAM, for the OE
developers.

  Recognizing that we are scrambling to get things organized at the last
minute, we further suggest that we put together a quick verbal
discussion with all the necessary folks present.  ATM, that appears to
be you, Tom K, Behan, and the OE board.

--
Sean

* Re: OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019