From: Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch>
To: "Christian König" <christian.koenig@amd.com>
Cc: "Liu, Monk" <Monk.Liu@amd.com>, Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com>,
	 Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com>,
	"Grodzovsky, Andrey" <Andrey.Grodzovsky@amd.com>,
	 "Chen, JingWen" <JingWen.Chen2@amd.com>,
	DRI Development <dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	 "amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org" <amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: [diagnostic TDR mode patches] unify our solution opinions/suggestions in one thread
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 18:11:19 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:00 PM Christian König <christian.koenig@amd.com> wrote:

> Hi Monk,
>
> Am 02.09.21 um 07:52 schrieb Liu, Monk:
> > [AMD Official Use Only]
> >
> > I'm not sure I can add much to help this along, I'm sure Alex has some internal training,
> > Once your driver is upstream, it belongs to upstream, you can maintain it, but you no longer control it 100%, it's a tradeoff, it's not one companies always understand.
> > Usually people are fine developing away internally, but once interaction with other parts of the kernel/subsystem is required they have the realisation that they needed to work upstream 6 months earlier.
> > The best time to interact with upstream was 6 months ago, the second best time is now.
> > <<<
> >
> > Daniel/AlexD
> >
> > I didn't mean your changes on AMD driver need my personal approval or review ... and  I'm totally already get used that our driver is not 100% under control by AMDers,
> > but supposedly any one from community (including you) who tend to change AMD's driver need at least to get approvement from someone in AMD, e.g.: AlexD or Christian, doesn't that reasonable?
>
> I'm fearing that just repeating what Alex said, but to make it clear
> once more: That is *not* necessary!
>
> The shared repository is owned by upstream maintainers and they are
> usually free to do restructuring work without getting acknowledge from
> every single driver maintainer.
>
> Anybody can of course technically object to upstream design decisions,
> but that means that you need to pay attention to the mailing lists in
> the first place.
>
> > just like we need your approve if we try to modify DRM-sched, or need panfrost's approval if we need to change panfrost code ...
> >
> > by only CC AMD's engineers looks not quite properly, how do you know if your changes (on AMD code part) are conflicting with AMD's on-going internal features/refactoring or not ?
>
> Well because AMD is supposed to work in public as much as possible and
> ask upstream before doing changes to the code base.
>
> Additional to that design decisions are supposed to be discussed on the
> mailing list and *not* internally.

Yeah I'm honestly really surprised about the course of this discussion
here. With Alex, Christian and others amd has a lot of folks with
years/decades of experience in how to collaborate in upstream, when to
pull in others proactively and when that's not needed, and in general
how to plan upstream work with the lest amount of risk and surprises.

I think step zero here needs to be some training at amd and then
re-planning this effort, before we get back to technical stuff.
Otherwise we'll just get bogged down in pain because expectations
about the process don't pan out.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter