On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 5:49 AM Danielle Ratson wrote: > Ok, ill send another version with the symmetrical side. Ethtool will try to compose > a supported link_mode from the parameters from user space and will choose > randomly between the supported ones. Sounds ok? I think it should be deterministic. It should be possible to select the appropriate mode either based on the current media type or the current link mode (which implies a media type). Alternatively, if the user space request only specifies a subset, such as speed, fall back to the existing behaviour and don't supply the request to the driver in the form of a compound link mode in those cases (perhaps indicating this by not setting the capability bit). The former approach has the potential to tidy up drivers if we decide that drivers providing the capability can ignore the other fields and rely solely on link mode, the latter is no worse than what we have today. Regards, Edwin Peer