Sounds good to me. Dwaipayan Ray schrieb am Sa., 23. Jan. 2021, 11:12: > On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:44 AM Lukas Bulwahn > wrote: > > > > On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:27 PM Dwaipayan Ray > wrote: > > > > > > Hi Lukas and all, > > > Recently while going through the warnings emitted by checkpatch, > > > the necessity of a verbose mode came up once again. Joe had > > > already suggested that a verbose mode would probably be worked > > > on. > > > > > > As for how that could be done, that leaves us at a couple of options. > > > Since writing verbose messages for all warnings aren't possible at > once, > > > there can be an optional extension when emitting messages: > > > > > > Currently, a warning can be emitted by > > > WARN("TYPE", "Message") > > > which could be converted to say: > > > WARN('TYPE", "Message", "Verbose") > > > > > > Another way is to leave the original warning emitting syntax intact > > > and instead go for a dictionary for verbose messages: > > > our %dict = ( > > > "TYPE1" => "Verbose", > > > "TYPE2" => "Verbose" > > > ...); > > > > > > Although this leaves us the ability to customize the verbose output > > > for each warning of a particular type. > > > > > > Which do you think would be best? Certainly more options might be > > > possible, so any new inputs will be nice as well! > > > > > > > I think any of the two approaches would work. > > > > But how about a completely different approach? > > > > The verbose message is really an explanation of why kernel developers > > think this rule should be followed (what is the history, what does it > > try to warn about, what are possible fixes, what are accepted > > deviations, ...). > > > > So, this should not be placed into the checkpatch.pl script itself, > > but into Documentation. > > > > checkpatch.pl would simply quickly parse the Documentation and present > > the content for the specific rules that were violated. > > > > Let's say this Documentation is in > > ./Documentation/tools/checkpatch.rst, and they contain subsections > > with labels/name with the TYPE identifier. Then when a warning of TYPE > > is relevant for a specific patch, you print the description from that > > one subsection. > > > > In checkpatch itself, you would only need a very generic mechanism then. > > > > That sounds great to me! > Even I had it in mind but thought maybe checkpatch could be less > reliant on other > files. But this also solves our purpose for an external documentation > for checkpatch > rules, so its a kinda win win situation. > > I think maybe we will need a special structure for the documentation file > itself > but its certainly doable. > > Do you think I should go on to propose this idea to Joe now? > > Thanks, > Dwaipayan. >