On Sa., 7. Nov. 2020 at 10:27, Aditya wrote: > On 4/11/20 4:44 pm, Lukas Bulwahn wrote: > > On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 4:19 PM Aditya Srivastava > wrote: > >> > >> Currently, checkpatch warns us if the author of the commit signs-off > >> as co-developed-by. > >> E.g. for commit 6e88559470f5 ("Documentation: Add section about > >> CPU vulnerabilities for Spectre") we get: > >> > >> WARNING: Co-developed-by: should not be used to attribute nominal > >> patch author 'Tim Chen ' > >> Co-developed-by: Tim Chen > >> > >> Provide a simple fix by removing the co-developed-by line from the > >> commit message > >> > > > > Patch looks good. Maybe you can add a statistics on how many cases of > > the last 200,000 commits this rule would actually trigger? > > > > E.g., you can probably quickly filter all commits that have at least > > one Co-developed-by tag among those last 200,000 commits (that is > > already only a few thousands), then take that list and just check with > > checkpatch.pl for this one rule quickly to see how often the rule > > would even trigger at all. > > > > Once you have that and explain that in the commit message, I think the > > patch is ready for lkml and Joe Perches. > > > > Lukas > > > > Hi Sir > I generated a report for around 200,000 commits (v4.13..v5.8), and > found that this rule was being triggered only 6 times. Statistically > this doesn't seem much. Is it still advisable to mention it in the > commit message? > Although, there's a possibility that user fixed this issue after > receiving the warning manually before committing. > Can you share the six commits? Then we check if the fix is really the right fix of if something different is wrong with these commits. This certainly needs to be mentioned in the commit message. Lukas > Thanks > Aditya > >