* [Linux-kernel-mentees] comment on checkpatch
@ 2021-01-12  5:08 Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-01-12  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Srivastava, Dwaipayan Ray; +Cc: Joe Perches, linux-kernel-mentees

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/20210111230029.GM4728@sirena.org.uk/T/#m355576186555c4b6e85dbb9a1b3fe3d5e80f6e9f

Aditya, Dwaipayan, Have a look. checkpatch already handles this, right?

Lukas

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] comment on checkpatch
@ 2021-01-12  5:35 ` Dwaipayan Ray
From: Dwaipayan Ray @ 2021-01-12  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: Joe Perches, linux-kernel-mentees, Aditya Srivastava

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:38 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/20210111230029.GM4728@sirena.org.uk/T/#m355576186555c4b6e85dbb9a1b3fe3d5e80f6e9f
>
> Aditya, Dwaipayan, Have a look. checkpatch already handles this, right?

Hi
The following Fixes line in commit log emits no warning:
   Fixes: Use packed mode for 32 bits per word transfers to increase

Neither does a fixes with mismatched commit description:
   Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("networking: packet_mmap: fix old config reference")

which should have been infact:
   Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("docs: networking: packet_mmap: fix old config
reference")

I could work on this if Lukas and Joe are okay with it.

Thank you,
Dwaipayan.

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] comment on checkpatch
@ 2021-01-12  6:02   ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2021-01-12  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwaipayan Ray, Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees, Aditya Srivastava

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 11:05 +0530, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:38 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/20210111230029.GM4728@sirena.org.uk/T/#m355576186555c4b6e85dbb9a1b3fe3d5e80f6e9f
> >
> > Aditya, Dwaipayan, Have a look. checkpatch already handles this, right?
> >
> Hi
> The following Fixes line in commit log emits no warning:
>    Fixes: Use packed mode for 32 bits per word transfers to increase
>
> Neither does a fixes with mismatched commit description:
>    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("networking: packet_mmap: fix old config reference")
>
> which should have been infact:
>    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("docs: networking: packet_mmap: fix old config
> reference")
>
> I could work on this if Lukas and Joe are okay with it.

It's not really a solvable problem as the SHA1 probably exists in an
individual local tree.

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] comment on checkpatch
@ 2021-01-12  6:03   ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-01-12  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwaipayan Ray; +Cc: Joe Perches, linux-kernel-mentees, Aditya Srivastava

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:35 AM Dwaipayan Ray <dwaipayanray1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:38 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/20210111230029.GM4728@sirena.org.uk/T/#m355576186555c4b6e85dbb9a1b3fe3d5e80f6e9f
> >
> > Aditya, Dwaipayan, Have a look. checkpatch already handles this, right?
> >
> Hi
> The following Fixes line in commit log emits no warning:
>    Fixes: Use packed mode for 32 bits per word transfers to increase
>
> Neither does a fixes with mismatched commit description:
>    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("networking: packet_mmap: fix old config reference")
>
> which should have been infact:
>    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("docs: networking: packet_mmap: fix old config
> reference")
>
> I could work on this if Lukas and Joe are okay with it.

Sounds good to me. Although I always thought checkpatch already has
such a check... we do check commit sha ("description"); so checking
Fixes can reuse that checking.

@ 2021-01-12  6:08     ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-01-12  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Perches; +Cc: Dwaipayan Ray, linux-kernel-mentees, Aditya Srivastava

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 7:02 AM Joe Perches <joe@perches.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 11:05 +0530, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:38 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-next/20210111230029.GM4728@sirena.org.uk/T/#m355576186555c4b6e85dbb9a1b3fe3d5e80f6e9f
> > >
> > > Aditya, Dwaipayan, Have a look. checkpatch already handles this, right?
> > >
> > Hi
> > The following Fixes line in commit log emits no warning:
> >    Fixes: Use packed mode for 32 bits per word transfers to increase
> >
> > Neither does a fixes with mismatched commit description:
> >    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("networking: packet_mmap: fix old config reference")
> >
> > which should have been infact:
> >    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("docs: networking: packet_mmap: fix old config
> > reference")
> >
> > I could work on this if Lukas and Joe are okay with it.
>
> It's not really a solvable problem as the SHA1 probably exists in an
> individual local tree.

Joe, so did you deactivate checking Fixes: at some point?

We can always check if it makes locally sense; that still does not
avoid the situation when a Fixes to an individual local tree and later
during integration hashes change, but it does sanity-checking on Fixes
tags for the hashes and descriptions that are stable.

@ 2021-01-12  6:15       ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2021-01-12  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: Dwaipayan Ray, linux-kernel-mentees, Aditya Srivastava

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 07:08 +0100, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 7:02 AM Joe Perches <joe@perches.com> wrote:

> > > Hi
> > > The following Fixes line in commit log emits no warning:
> > >    Fixes: Use packed mode for 32 bits per word transfers to increase
> > >
> > > Neither does a fixes with mismatched commit description:
> > >    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("networking: packet_mmap: fix old config reference")
> > >
> > > which should have been infact:
> > >    Fixes: e4da63cda51f ("docs: networking: packet_mmap: fix old config
> > > reference")
> > >
> > > I could work on this if Lukas and Joe are okay with it.
> >
> > It's not really a solvable problem as the SHA1 probably exists in an
> > individual local tree.
> >

> Joe, so did you deactivate checking Fixes: at some point?

No, Fixes: lines were always just skipped if it matched:

$line =~ /^\s*Fixes:\s*[0-9a-z]{12,40}/i

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] comment on checkpatch
@ 2021-01-12  6:16       ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2021-01-12  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: Dwaipayan Ray, linux-kernel-mentees, Aditya Srivastava

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 07:08 +0100, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> We can always check if it makes locally sense; that still does not
> avoid the situation when a Fixes to an individual local tree and later
> during integration hashes change, but it does sanity-checking on Fixes
> tags for the hashes and descriptions that are stable.

Again: it's not a solvable problem.  I'd rather not generate
warnings on problems that are not obviously correct.