From: Helder Daniel <hdaniel@ualg.pt>
To: Philippe Gerum <rpm@xenomai.org>
Cc: "Xenomai@xenomai.org" <xenomai@xenomai.org>
Subject: Re: [Xenomai] Fwd: Error boilerplate/wrappers.h no found trying to compile RTDM module on 3.x-rc3 cobalt
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:30:25 +0000	[thread overview]

> You need /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build to refer to a kernel tree
> prepared with the Xenomai kernel sources, i.e. scripts/prepare-kernel.sh
> should have run in this source tree at some point. The errors you get
> indicate that no Xenomai code can be found there.

I had

/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build

pointing to the kernel headers installed from a .deb package.
This package was created when compiling the Cobalt kernel with:

make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

so I assumed that all Xenomai code is included in that package.

Now I pointed to the kernel source tree and I can compile the module.

This is strange. I was expecting that the kernel headers package created
with debian build to store all Xenomai info, so that I can install a cobalt
kernel image + headers in another computer, from 2 debian packages (I did
this before successfully with Xenomai 2.5.x) without having to copy all the
kernel source tree.

> A basic Makefile for foo_module.ko composed of a single source foo.c,
> and pulling the extra CFLAGS from xeno-config, could look like:
>
> $(eval ccflags-y = $(shell xeno-config --kcflags))
> obj-y += foo_module.o
> foo_module-y := foo.o

After pointing to the right source tree I had to make yet a change in the
makefile. I just add $(eval before EXTRA-CFLAGS ...
The makefile that works is now:

$eval(EXTRA_CFLAGS := $(shell xeno-config --kcflags))
all:
    make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) modules