* [GIT PULL] Samsung devel-dma ops for v3.6
@ 2012-07-10  2:13 ` Kukjin Kim
From: Kukjin Kim @ 2012-07-10  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Arnd Bergmann', 'Olof Johansson'
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-samsung-soc, boojin.kim,
	'Mark Brown', 'Grant Likely',
	w.sang

Hi Arnd, Olof,

Here is updating DMA common operation for Samsung SoCs.

Since some DMA client driver such as spi needs to change the configuration
after dma_request() so this branch adds dma_config() can configure DMA
transmit option which is included in dma_request() after that.

Note, according to the changes, needs to update spi and ASoC drivers for
Samsung SoCs and only got the ack from Mark Brown not Grant Likely and as I
know, he is busy for moving. But I think, the spi change has no problem and
it is simple.

If any problems, please kindly let me know.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Kgene.
--
Kukjin Kim <kgene.kim@samsung.com>, Senior Engineer,
SW Solution Development Team, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.

The following changes since commit 485802a6c524e62b5924849dd727ddbb1497cc71:

  Linux 3.5-rc3 (2012-06-16 17:25:17 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:
  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kgene/linux-samsung.git
next/devel-dma-ops

Boojin Kim (3):
      ARM: SAMSUNG: Add config() function in DMA common operations
      spi/s3c64xx: Add the use of DMA config operation
      ASoC: follow the updated samsung DMA common operations

Sachin Kamat (1):
      ARM: SAMSUNG: Fix compiler warning in dma-ops.c file

 arch/arm/plat-samsung/dma-ops.c              |   76
++++++++++++++------------
 arch/arm/plat-samsung/include/plat/dma-ops.h |   20 ++++---
 arch/arm/plat-samsung/s3c-dma-ops.c          |   39 ++++++++------
 drivers/spi/spi-s3c64xx.c                    |   33 +++++++-----
 sound/soc/samsung/dma.c                      |   18 ++++---

From: Kukjin Kim @ 2012-07-10  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

[...]

* Re: [GIT PULL] Samsung devel-dma ops for v3.6
@ 2012-07-10 12:42   ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-10 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kukjin Kim, 'Mark Brown'
  Cc: 'Olof Johansson',
	linux-arm-kernel, linux-samsung-soc, 'Grant Likely',
	w.sang, Boojin Kim, Kyoungil Kim, Vinod Koul, Dan Williams,
	Ben Dooks

On Tuesday 10 July 2012, Kukjin Kim wrote:
> Hi Arnd, Olof,
>
> Here is updating DMA common operation for Samsung SoCs.
>
> Since some DMA client driver such as spi needs to change the configuration
> after dma_request() so this branch adds dma_config() can configure DMA
> transmit option which is included in dma_request() after that.
>
> Note, according to the changes, needs to update spi and ASoC drivers for
> Samsung SoCs and only got the ack from Mark Brown not Grant Likely and as I
> know, he is busy for moving. But I think, the spi change has no problem and
> it is simple.
>
> If any problems, please kindly let me know.

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kgene/linux-samsung.git next/devel-dma-ops

I've applied this to a new next/dma branch for now, as it sounds that you
need these changes.

However, my feeling is that the s3c-dma-ops support is moving in the wrong
direction, or at least I do not see where you're heading with it.

>From what I see, there is the

* arch/arm/plat-s3c24xx/dma.c driver with a proprietary s3c2410_dma_*
  interface, used by s3cmci and some asoc drivers.
* arch/arm/mach-s3c64xx/dma.c implementing the same interface and exporting
  the same symbols.
* The arch/arm/plat-samsung/dma-ops.c which is a wrapper around the generic
  dmaengine API, hardcoding the pl330 DMA driver
* The arch/arm/plat-samsung/include/plat/dma-ops.h interface abstraction
  that gets used to pick between the two at compile time, and being used by
  the spi driver and again other asoc drivers

Can you (or someone on the Cc list) explain what the plan is for this?
Are you moving over the s3c2410_dma*() function to a dmaengine driver
eventually? Do you expect to see more users of the nonstandard intefaces
in the samsung code, or are they going away?

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-10 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-11  7:08     ` Kukjin Kim
From: Kukjin Kim @ 2012-07-11  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Arnd Bergmann', 'Mark Brown'
  Cc: 'Olof Johansson',

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 July 2012, Kukjin Kim wrote:
> > Hi Arnd, Olof,
> >
> > Here is updating DMA common operation for Samsung SoCs.
> >
> > Since some DMA client driver such as spi needs to change the
> configuration
> > after dma_request() so this branch adds dma_config() can configure DMA
> > transmit option which is included in dma_request() after that.
> >
> > Note, according to the changes, needs to update spi and ASoC drivers for
> > Samsung SoCs and only got the ack from Mark Brown not Grant Likely and
> as I
> > know, he is busy for moving. But I think, the spi change has no problem
> and
> > it is simple.
> >
> > If any problems, please kindly let me know.
>
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kgene/linux-samsung.git
> next/devel-dma-ops
>
> I've applied this to a new next/dma branch for now, as it sounds that you
> need these changes.

Arnd, thanks.

> However, my feeling is that the s3c-dma-ops support is moving in the wrong
> direction, or at least I do not see where you're heading with it.
>
> From what I see, there is the
>
> * arch/arm/plat-s3c24xx/dma.c driver with a proprietary s3c2410_dma_*
>   interface, used by s3cmci and some asoc drivers.
> * arch/arm/mach-s3c64xx/dma.c implementing the same interface and
> exporting
>   the same symbols.
> * The arch/arm/plat-samsung/dma-ops.c which is a wrapper around the
> generic
>   dmaengine API, hardcoding the pl330 DMA driver
> * The arch/arm/plat-samsung/include/plat/dma-ops.h interface abstraction
>   that gets used to pick between the two at compile time, and being used
> by
>   the spi driver and again other asoc drivers
>
> Can you (or someone on the Cc list) explain what the plan is for this?
> Are you moving over the s3c2410_dma*() function to a dmaengine driver
> eventually? Do you expect to see more users of the nonstandard intefaces
> in the samsung code, or are they going away?

Yeah, let me explain the status for Samsung SoCs' DMA. There are 3 different
DMA IPs, samsung specific s3c24xx dma, pl080 and pl330. As you know, pl330
already moved in drivers/dma for using common DMA engine and Alim is
re-working on pl080
(http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-samsung-soc@vger.kernel.org/msg10954.html
) and let me check its progress. But s3c24xx dma is not ready yet. When
pl330 was moving, my colleague, Boojin Kim posted to use common DMA APIs for
Samsung drivers which are using DMA such as spi and ASoC. But it was
including too many ifdef for checking which DMA is used and it can occur
breakage for multiplatform
(http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg131137.html). So we implemented
to use some dma_ops after discussing with Grant Likely
(http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2011-July/058171.html
).

Anyway, we will try to use common DMA APIs for all Samsung SoCs. But need
more time ;)

Thanks.

Best regards,
Kgene.

From: Kukjin Kim @ 2012-07-11  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 July 2012, Kukjin Kim wrote:
> > Hi Arnd, Olof,
> >
> > Here is updating DMA common operation for Samsung SoCs.
> >
> > Since some DMA client driver such as spi needs to change the
> configuration
> > after dma_request() so this branch adds dma_config() can configure DMA
> > transmit option which is included in dma_request() after that.
> >
> > Note, according to the changes, needs to update spi and ASoC drivers for
> > Samsung SoCs and only got the ack from Mark Brown not Grant Likely and
> as I
> > know, he is busy for moving. But I think, the spi change has no problem
> and
> > it is simple.
> >
> > If any problems, please kindly let me know.
>
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kgene/linux-samsung.git
> next/devel-dma-ops
>
> I've applied this to a new next/dma branch for now, as it sounds that you
> need these changes.

Arnd, thanks.

(http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-samsung-soc at vger.kernel.org/msg10954.html

@ 2012-07-11  8:18       ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-11  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kukjin Kim
  Cc: 'Mark Brown', 'Olof Johansson',

On Wednesday 11 July 2012, Kukjin Kim wrote:
> Yeah, let me explain the status for Samsung SoCs' DMA. There are 3 different
> DMA IPs, samsung specific s3c24xx dma, pl080 and pl330. As you know, pl330
> already moved in drivers/dma for using common DMA engine and Alim is
> re-working on pl080
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-samsung-soc@vger.kernel.org/msg10954.html
> ) and let me check its progress. But s3c24xx dma is not ready yet. When
> pl330 was moving, my colleague, Boojin Kim posted to use common DMA APIs for
> Samsung drivers which are using DMA such as spi and ASoC. But it was
> including too many ifdef for checking which DMA is used and it can occur
> breakage for multiplatform
> (http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg131137.html). So we implemented
> to use some dma_ops after discussing with Grant Likely
> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2011-July/058171.html
> ).
>
> Anyway, we will try to use common DMA APIs for all Samsung SoCs. But need
> more time ;)

Ok, sounds good. Thanks for the background information!

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-11  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-23 14:36       ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-07-23 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kukjin Kim
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Mark Brown, Ben Dooks, linux-samsung-soc,
	Boojin Kim, Vinod Koul, w.sang, Grant Likely, Kyoungil Kim,
	Olof Johansson, Dan Williams, linux-arm-kernel

2012/7/11 Kukjin Kim <kgene.kim@samsung.com>:

> Yeah, let me explain the status for Samsung SoCs' DMA. There are 3 different
> DMA IPs, samsung specific s3c24xx dma, pl080 and pl330. As you know, pl330
> already moved in drivers/dma for using common DMA engine and Alim is
> re-working on pl080
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-samsung-soc@vger.kernel.org/msg10954.html
> ) and let me check its progress. But s3c24xx dma is not ready yet.

I'm going to poke again on this. I think a bunch of changes to the PL080
driver from Russell is going upstream this merge window and the S3C patch
series need to be rebased onto that, but it should be pretty straight-forward.

Can we please have something moving the S3C over to dmaengine *early*
next kernel cycle?

Yours,
Linus Walleij

From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-07-23 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)