* breakage after "io_uring: offload write to async worker in case of -EAGAIN"
@ 2019-04-21  8:33 ` Ard Biesheuvel
From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2019-04-21  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, linux-block, rpenyaev, linux-arm-kernel

Hello all,

I ran into an issue booting a graphical desktop (GNOME) on an ARM
based system with nvidia graphics and the nouveau driver (which is the
only one available on arm64). Bisect identified the following commit
as the culprit

commit 9bf7933fc3f306bc4ce74ad734f690a71670178a
Author: Roman Penyaev <rpenyaev@suse.de>
Date:   Mon Mar 25 20:09:24 2019 +0100

    io_uring: offload write to async worker in case of -EAGAIN

and reverting that on top of v5.1-rc5 gives me a working system again.

I don't see any errors in the kernel log, but the graphical desktop
never comes up. I can still ssh into the system and everything else
appears to work normally.

I'm a bit out of my depth there, so could you please help me diagnose
this further? Any conditions I should check in the 'else' path?

Thanks,
Ard.

Author: Roman Penyaev <rpenyaev@suse.de>
Date:   Mon Mar 25 20:09:24 2019 +0100

    io_uring: offload write to async worker in case of -EAGAIN

and reverting that on top of v5.1-rc5 gives me a working system again.

I don't see any errors in the kernel log, but the graphical desktop
never comes up. I can still ssh into the system and everything else
appears to work normally.

I'm a bit out of my depth there, so could you please help me diagnose
this further? Any conditions I should check in the 'else' path?

Thanks,
Ard.

* Re: breakage after "io_uring: offload write to async worker in case of -EAGAIN"
@ 2019-04-22 13:41   ` Ard Biesheuvel
From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2019-04-22 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, linux-block, rpenyaev, linux-arm-kernel

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 10:33, Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I ran into an issue booting a graphical desktop (GNOME) on an ARM
> based system with nvidia graphics and the nouveau driver (which is the
> only one available on arm64). Bisect identified the following commit
> as the culprit
>
> commit 9bf7933fc3f306bc4ce74ad734f690a71670178a
> Author: Roman Penyaev <rpenyaev@suse.de>
> Date:   Mon Mar 25 20:09:24 2019 +0100
>
>     io_uring: offload write to async worker in case of -EAGAIN
>
> and reverting that on top of v5.1-rc5 gives me a working system again.
>
> I don't see any errors in the kernel log, but the graphical desktop
> never comes up. I can still ssh into the system and everything else
> appears to work normally.
>
> I'm a bit out of my depth there, so could you please help me diagnose
> this further? Any conditions I should check in the 'else' path?

Actually, I am struggling to understand why this particular commit
would make a difference on a Debian Stretch based userland, since I
don't suppose the new syscalls are being used there yet ...

From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2019-04-22 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, linux-block, rpenyaev, linux-arm-kernel

@ 2019-04-22 14:07     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2019-04-22 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ard Biesheuvel, linux-block, rpenyaev, linux-arm-kernel

On 4/22/19 7:41 AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 at 10:33, Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I ran into an issue booting a graphical desktop (GNOME) on an ARM
>> based system with nvidia graphics and the nouveau driver (which is the
>> only one available on arm64). Bisect identified the following commit
>> as the culprit
>>
>> commit 9bf7933fc3f306bc4ce74ad734f690a71670178a
>> Author: Roman Penyaev <rpenyaev@suse.de>
>> Date:   Mon Mar 25 20:09:24 2019 +0100
>>
>>     io_uring: offload write to async worker in case of -EAGAIN
>>
>> and reverting that on top of v5.1-rc5 gives me a working system again.
>>
>> I don't see any errors in the kernel log, but the graphical desktop
>> never comes up. I can still ssh into the system and everything else
>> appears to work normally.
>>
>> I'm a bit out of my depth there, so could you please help me diagnose
>> this further? Any conditions I should check in the 'else' path?
>>

> Actually, I am struggling to understand why this particular commit
> would make a difference on a Debian Stretch based userland, since I
> don't suppose the new syscalls are being used there yet ...

Yeah, it really makes no sense at all, as that code path is not being
exercised on your system at all.

--
Jens Axboe

From: Jens Axboe @ 2019-04-22 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)