From: Liam Breck <liam@networkimprov.net>
To: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
Cc: Sebastian Reichel <sre@kernel.org>,
	Liam Breck <kernel@networkimprov.net>,
	Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com>,
	linux-pm@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Moving forward with the patches for using the bq24190 on x86 systems
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 14:56:45 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian, Liam,
>
> I still have 2 patches pending for using the bq24190 on x86 systems,
> which I would like to see merged in some form (and if possible in
> time for 4.12):

Is there a specific reason for urgency?

Can I ask how you got involved in porting Linux to this Atom box?

> 1) The "power: supply: bq24190_charger: Never reset the charger chip" patch.
>
> Sebastian you said you would merge this after letting it sit a bit longer
> on the list, unless any problems with it were noticed. I believe Liam
> would prefer for this to not get merged as-is. So I see 3 options:
>
> a) Merge as-is (AFAIK no problems with it have been noticed)
> b) Add a "no-reset-on-probe" boolean device property which will
> make the driver not do a reset on probe (nor on resume)
> c) Add a "reset-on-probe" boolean device property and make the
> driver only do a reset on probe (and on resume) if this is set
>
> Sebastian, can you please pick one of these 3 options ? Then I
> will adjust my patch as necessary and post a new version.

I've solicited Tony's input on this. He's studied the charger/driver a
lot, and is a guru-level kernel contributor.

> 2) The "power: supply: bq24190_charger: Remove battery power_supply device"
> patch
>
> The problem with this one is that it removes userspace ABI on which
> Liam is relying, so this cannot go upstream as is. I think that
> for now it is best to add a "disable-battery-power-supply-iface"
> boolean device-property (for kernel internal use only, not part
> of the DT bindings) and guard the power_supply_register call
> for the battery interface with a check for this.

That would be a reasonable near-term workaround, until I merge the
-battery properties into -charger.