* Low-hanging fruit bugs for starting contributor
@ 2016-11-22 15:49 Elazar Leibovich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Elazar Leibovich @ 2016-11-22 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: larskurth

For someone wishing to start contributing to  Xen hypervisor, what would
you recommend as an easy, educational, bug he could start with?

* Re: Low-hanging fruit bugs for starting contributor
@ 2016-11-22 16:18 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-11-22 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elazar Leibovich; +Cc: larskurth, xen-devel

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 03:49:01PM +0000, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> Hi,
> For someone wishing to start contributing to  Xen hypervisor, what would
> you recommend as an easy, educational, bug he could start with?

Port 'hptool' functionality to bring down physical CPUs up and down
to libxl.

@ 2016-11-22 16:19 ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-11-22 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elazar Leibovich; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Xen-devel

Elazar,

we do have a list of links to starter projects at the bottom of https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round12%2B2016GSoC <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round12+2016GSoC>, but these are probably not quite what you are looking for. We don't maintain a list of starter bugs, because much of it depends on what you want to get out of it. I am assuming you solved build, set-up, etc. already?

If you could give us a bit of context and what you are trying to accomplish, I can CC a community member who can then point you in the right direction or alternatively can come up with a small project that can help you get up to speed.

Regards
Lars

@ 2016-11-22 17:00   ` Elazar Leibovich
From: Elazar Leibovich @ 2016-11-22 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Xen-devel

At Ravello/Oracle, we would be interested with contributing patches to the
Xen hypervisor, especially in areas related , and our team have no
experience with Xen.
I've read the contributor guideline, and I think that before contributing
big patches, we should start with contributing small patches, to make sure
we're fluent with the entire contribution process, e.g., coverity static
analysis.
As of the setup phase. I created a pbuilder clean environment with the
following script, note the list of build dependencies:

#!/bin/bash -vx
set -e
sudo apt install pbuilder
[ ! -f /var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz ] && sudo pbuilder --create
--distribution xenial --othermirror 'deb
http://il.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial main restricted universe
multiverse'
DEPS=/tmp/$USER-$$-dep-install
echo -e '#!/bin/bash -xv\napt-get install -y wget curl ftp autotools-dev
debhelper dpkg-dev lsb-release python-dev bcc gcc-multilib e2fslibs-dev
iasl seabios libaio-dev libfdt-dev libglib2.0-dev liblzma-dev
libncurses5-dev libpixman-1-dev libyajl-dev libssl-dev pkg-config uuid-dev
zlib1g-dev libsystemd-dev texinfo fakeroot' > $DEPS
trap "rm $DEPS" EXIT
chmod +x $DEPS
sudo pbuilder --execute --save-after-exec $DEPS

Then I went on, pbuilder --login, and inside
$ make debball
I ran a  plain Ubuntu Server on KVM with nested virtualization enabled,
then I installed the deb on the ubuntu,
$ update-grub
installed some runtime dependencies
$ apt install libpixman-1-dev libfdt-dev libaio-dev libyajl-dev
and booted with the new Xen entry. Note that you can rename
/etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen to be /etc/grub.d/09_linux_xen before update-grub
and hence have your machine to boot to Xen by default.

Finally I started the xen daemons
$ service xen-watchdog start
$ service xendomains start
$ service xendriverdomain start
$ service xencommons start
Than, I created VMs with the xl create tool.
I'm not sure I have the best setup, and I'll be happy to hear what I did
wrong, or what could be improved.
Thanks!

@ 2016-11-22 17:38     ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-11-22 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elazar Leibovich; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Xen-devel

Added Konrad,

as he replied to an earlier mail.

> On 22 Nov 2016, at 17:00, Elazar Leibovich <elazar.leibovich@ravellosystems.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> At Ravello/Oracle, we would be interested with contributing patches to the Xen hypervisor, especially in areas related , and our team have no experience with Xen.

Something seems to be missing here. Looking at Ravello's website, I suppose you mean nested virtualisation. If so, Andrew Cooper (you can get the email address from the MAINTAINERS file in xen.git) may have some ideas re bugs / small projects, and I would just CC him. I don't know whether any of these are simple enough though.

> I've read the contributor guideline, and I think that before contributing big patches, we should start with contributing small patches, to make sure we're fluent with the entire contribution process, e.g., coverity static analysis.

If you have specific questions, let me know and I will try to answer them. I am currently re-working part 2 of the training at https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Contributor_Training <https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Contributor_Training> and should have an updated version within a few days. Also, the #xendevel IRC channel (https://www.xenproject.org/help/irc.html <https://www.xenproject.org/help/irc.html>) is usually quite good for developer related questions and short questions.

Regards
Lars

* Re: Low-hanging fruit bugs for starting contributor
@ 2016-11-22 17:42       ` Elazar Leibovich
From: Elazar Leibovich @ 2016-11-22 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Xen-devel

Indeed nested virtualization, I apologize for the accidental deletion,
While we would like to contribute to nested virtualization eventually, if
there are other small bugs in other places in the hypervisor, that would be
a good warm up as well.
Thanks,

@ 2016-11-22 17:49         ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2016-11-22 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elazar Leibovich, Lars Kurth; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Xen-devel

On 22/11/16 17:42, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> Indeed nested virtualization, I apologize for the accidental deletion,
> While we would like to contribute to nested virtualization eventually,
> if there are other small bugs in other places in the hypervisor, that
> would be a good warm up as well.

Perhaps I should publish my plans for making usable nested-virt in Xen.

My current estimate of 2 person-years of work to get it into a state
where upstream Xen could plausibly support nested-virt.

~Andrew

* Re: Low-hanging fruit bugs for starting contributor
@ 2016-11-22 18:00           ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-11-22 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Elazar Leibovich, Xen-devel, Lars Kurth

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 05:49:35PM +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 22/11/16 17:42, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> > Indeed nested virtualization, I apologize for the accidental deletion,
> > While we would like to contribute to nested virtualization eventually,
> > if there are other small bugs in other places in the hypervisor, that
> > would be a good warm up as well.
>
> Perhaps I should publish my plans for making usable nested-virt in Xen.

Yes please do.

> My current estimate of 2 person-years of work to get it into a state
> where upstream Xen could plausibly support nested-virt.

Two years go fast. And with more people it can go even faster..

@ 2016-11-23 19:00 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2016-11-23 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elazar Leibovich, xen-devel; +Cc: larskurth

On 22/11/16 15:49, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> Hi,
> For someone wishing to start contributing to  Xen hypervisor, what
> would you recommend as an easy, educational, bug he could start with?

Not a bug pe say, but something I have just tripped over again and
remember that I had already decided to fix it when 4.9 opened up again.

There has previously been discussion of following the Linux way of
arranging architecture header files, by placing them in
arch/$FOO/include/asm/* rather than include/$symlink/*

This prevents the need for the build system to go symlinking things, and
makes cscope/tags/gtags happier indexing all the source.

If you fancy adjusting this, it should be fairly easy.

~Andrew