* [CXP] some questions about "Common Xenomai Platform"
@ 2021-01-03  9:47 Hailongliu
From: Hailongliu @ 2021-01-03  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and wiki
of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port Xenomai for
recent LTS kernel(v5.10).

I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that mean we
can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?
I also concern about that how long Xenomai-3.3 will be live? And if there
will be a long term version with kernel-v5.10 for Xenomai?

Thanks.

* Re: [CXP] some questions about "Common Xenomai Platform"
@ 2021-01-03 17:38 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2021-01-03 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hailongliu; +Cc: xenomai

Hailongliu via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and wiki
> of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port Xenomai for
> recent LTS kernel(v5.10).
>
> I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that mean we
> can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?

Yes, that is the plan. Xenomai 3.3 is going to be the first release
fully implementing the CXP. Xenomai 4 which is going to use a different
real-time core will be developed in parallel to Xenomai 3.3, aiming at
CXP-compliance too. It should be clear that March 31, 2021 is the date
for completing the CXP specification, not that of any release
implementing it, which can only happen later by definition.

> I also concern about that how long Xenomai-3.3 will be live? And if there
> will be a long term version with kernel-v5.10 for Xenomai?

Xenomai will run v5.10 LTS as soon as release 3.2, based on the ongoing
port of the Cobalt core to Dovetail.

How long a particular Xenomai release is maintained for a particular
kernel version currently depends on a few individuals and companies
having a specific requirement to keep such port alive, and contributing
to this task directly (doing the work) or indirectly (funding someone
else's work).

Although there is a commitment to run Xenomai 3.x on top of kernel v5.10
asap, I'm not aware of any formal commitment of any current contributor
to maintain this port for a pre-defined period of time. One may only
assume that by picking a LTS kernel like v5.10, we are likely going to
maintain it "for some time".

--
Philippe.

* Re:Re: [CXP] some questions about "Common Xenomai Platform"
@ 2021-01-07 15:52   ` hailong
From: hailong @ 2021-01-07 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: xenomai

At 2021-01-04 01:38:04, "Philippe Gerum" <rpm@xenomai.org> wrote:

>Hailongliu via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and wiki
>> of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port Xenomai for
>> recent LTS kernel(v5.10).
>>
>> I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that mean we
>> can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?
>
>Yes, that is the plan. Xenomai 3.3 is going to be the first release
>fully implementing the CXP. Xenomai 4 which is going to use a different
>real-time core will be developed in parallel to Xenomai 3.3, aiming at
>CXP-compliance too. It should be clear that March 31, 2021 is the date
>for completing the CXP specification, not that of any release
>implementing it, which can only happen later by definition.

Will the CXP or Xenomai 4 compatible with RT-patch over time?
In addition,   I learned that the legacy RTOS emulators (such as VxWorks)
will be excluded from Xenomai 3.x , neither Xenomai 4?

>> I also concern about that how long Xenomai-3.3 will be live? And if there
>> will be a long term version with kernel-v5.10 for Xenomai?
>>

>Xenomai will run v5.10 LTS as soon as release 3.2, based on the ongoing
>port of the Cobalt core to Dovetail.
>
>How long a particular Xenomai release is maintained for a particular
>kernel version currently depends on a few individuals and companies
>having a specific requirement to keep such port alive, and contributing
>to this task directly (doing the work) or indirectly (funding someone
>else's work).
>
>Although there is a commitment to run Xenomai 3.x on top of kernel v5.10
>asap, I'm not aware of any formal commitment of any current contributor
>to maintain this port for a pre-defined period of time. One may only
>assume that by picking a LTS kernel like v5.10, we are likely going to
>maintain it "for some time".

Thanks.

* Re: Re: [CXP] some questions about "Common Xenomai Platform"
@ 2021-01-07 15:59     ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2021-01-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hailong; +Cc: Philippe Gerum, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:53 AM hailong via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org>
wrote:

> At 2021-01-04 01:38:04, "Philippe Gerum" <rpm@xenomai.org> wrote:
> >
> >Hailongliu via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and
> wiki
> >> of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port
> Xenomai for
> >> recent LTS kernel(v5.10).
> >>
> >> I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that
> mean we
> >> can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?
> >
> >Yes, that is the plan. Xenomai 3.3 is going to be the first release
> >fully implementing the CXP. Xenomai 4 which is going to use a different
> >real-time core will be developed in parallel to Xenomai 3.3, aiming at
> >CXP-compliance too. It should be clear that March 31, 2021 is the date
> >for completing the CXP specification, not that of any release
> >implementing it, which can only happen later by definition.
> >

> Will the CXP or Xenomai 4 compatible with RT-patch over time?
> In addition,   I learned that the legacy RTOS emulators (such as VxWorks)
> will be excluded from Xenomai 3.x , neither Xenomai 4?

That is correct, we don't have the resources to continue to support the
RTOS emulators.  I believe it was left open that if someone
wants to take this on as a maintainer they could be included.

> >> I also concern about that how long Xenomai-3.3 will be live? And if
> there
> >> will be a long term version with kernel-v5.10 for Xenomai?
> >>

> >Xenomai will run v5.10 LTS as soon as release 3.2, based on the ongoing
> >port of the Cobalt core to Dovetail.
> >
> >How long a particular Xenomai release is maintained for a particular
> >kernel version currently depends on a few individuals and companies
> >having a specific requirement to keep such port alive, and contributing
> >to this task directly (doing the work) or indirectly (funding someone
> >else's work).
> >
> >Although there is a commitment to run Xenomai 3.x on top of kernel v5.10
> >asap, I'm not aware of any formal commitment of any current contributor
> >to maintain this port for a pre-defined period of time. One may only
> >assume that by picking a LTS kernel like v5.10, we are likely going to
> >maintain it "for some time".
> >

> Thanks.

Thanks

Greg

* Re: [CXP] some questions about "Common Xenomai Platform"
@ 2021-01-08 23:43       ` Hailongliu
From: Hailongliu @ 2021-01-08 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Philippe Gerum, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On 1/7/21 11:59 PM, Greg Gallagher wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:53 AM hailong via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai@xenomai.org>> wrote:
>
>     At 2021-01-04 01:38:04, "Philippe Gerum" <rpm@xenomai.org <mailto:rpm@xenomai.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     >Hailongliu via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai@xenomai.org>> writes:
>     >
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and wiki
>     >> of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port Xenomai for
>     >> recent LTS kernel(v5.10).
>     >>
>     >> I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that mean we
>     >> can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?
>     >
>     >Yes, that is the plan. Xenomai 3.3 is going to be the first release
>     >fully implementing the CXP. Xenomai 4 which is going to use a different
>     >real-time core will be developed in parallel to Xenomai 3.3, aiming at
>     >CXP-compliance too. It should be clear that March 31, 2021 is the date
>     >for completing the CXP specification, not that of any release
>     >implementing it, which can only happen later by definition.
>     >

>     Will the CXP or Xenomai 4 compatible with RT-patch over time?
>     In addition,   I learned that the legacy RTOS emulators (such as VxWorks)
>     will be excluded from Xenomai 3.x , neither Xenomai 4?
>
> That is correct, we don't have the resources to continue to support the RTOS emulators.  I believe it was left open that if someone
> wants to take this on as a maintainer they could be included.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Our work team members now are hesitating about which kernel version to choose
as our development baseline for Xenomai between linux-5.10 and linux-5.4,
because we find that there is a evl branch based on linux-5.4 but not for
linux-5.10 currently.

And we also want to know the compatibility between the Xenomai4 and rt-patch.

So, could you kind give me some advice for that?

@ 2021-01-09  9:09         ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2021-01-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hailongliu; +Cc: Greg Gallagher, Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hailongliu <hailongliiu@yeah.net> writes:

> On 1/7/21 11:59 PM, Greg Gallagher wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:53 AM hailong via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai@xenomai.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     At 2021-01-04 01:38:04, "Philippe Gerum" <rpm@xenomai.org <mailto:rpm@xenomai.org>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     >Hailongliu via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai@xenomai.org>> writes:
>>     >
>>     >> Hi,
>>     >>
>>     >> I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and wiki
>>     >> of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port Xenomai for
>>     >> recent LTS kernel(v5.10).
>>     >>
>>     >> I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that mean we
>>     >> can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?
>>     >
>>     >Yes, that is the plan. Xenomai 3.3 is going to be the first release
>>     >fully implementing the CXP. Xenomai 4 which is going to use a different
>>     >real-time core will be developed in parallel to Xenomai 3.3, aiming at
>>     >CXP-compliance too. It should be clear that March 31, 2021 is the date
>>     >for completing the CXP specification, not that of any release
>>     >implementing it, which can only happen later by definition.
>>     >

>>     Will the CXP or Xenomai 4 compatible with RT-patch over time?
>>     In addition,   I learned that the legacy RTOS emulators (such as VxWorks)
>>     will be excluded from Xenomai 3.x , neither Xenomai 4?
>>
>> That is correct, we don't have the resources to continue to support the RTOS emulators.  I believe it was left open that if someone
>> wants to take this on as a maintainer they could be included.
>>

> Thank you for your kind reply.
>
> Our work team members now are hesitating about which kernel version to choose
> as our development baseline for Xenomai between linux-5.10 and linux-5.4,
> because we find that there is a evl branch based on linux-5.4 but not for
> linux-5.10 currently.

Yes there is, see evlproject.org. evl/master is based on v5.10 mainline.

> And we also want to know the compatibility between the Xenomai4 and rt-patch.

Compatible.

--
Philippe.

* Re: [CXP] some questions about "Common Xenomai Platform"
@ 2021-01-10  1:52           ` Hailong
From: Hailong @ 2021-01-10  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Greg Gallagher, Xenomai@xenomai.org

> Hailongliu <hailongliiu@yeah.net> writes:
>
>> On 1/7/21 11:59 PM, Greg Gallagher wrote:
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:53 AM hailong via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai@xenomai.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      At 2021-01-04 01:38:04, "Philippe Gerum" <rpm@xenomai.org <mailto:rpm@xenomai.org>> wrote:
>>>      >
>>>      >Hailongliu via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai@xenomai.org>> writes:
>>>      >
>>>      >> Hi,
>>>      >>
>>>      >> I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and wiki
>>>      >> of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port Xenomai for
>>>      >> recent LTS kernel(v5.10).
>>>      >>
>>>      >> I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that mean we
>>>      >> can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?
>>>      >
>>>      >Yes, that is the plan. Xenomai 3.3 is going to be the first release
>>>      >fully implementing the CXP. Xenomai 4 which is going to use a different
>>>      >real-time core will be developed in parallel to Xenomai 3.3, aiming at
>>>      >CXP-compliance too. It should be clear that March 31, 2021 is the date
>>>      >for completing the CXP specification, not that of any release
>>>      >implementing it, which can only happen later by definition.
>>>      >

>>>      Will the CXP or Xenomai 4 compatible with RT-patch over time?
>>>      In addition,   I learned that the legacy RTOS emulators (such as VxWorks)
>>>      will be excluded from Xenomai 3.x , neither Xenomai 4?
>>>
>>> That is correct, we don't have the resources to continue to support the RTOS emulators.  I believe it was left open that if someone
>>> wants to take this on as a maintainer they could be included.
>>>

>> Thank you for your kind reply.
>>
>> Our work team members now are hesitating about which kernel version to choose
>> as our development baseline for Xenomai between linux-5.10 and linux-5.4,
>> because we find that there is a evl branch based on linux-5.4 but not for
>> linux-5.10 currently.
>
> Yes there is, see evlproject.org. evl/master is based on v5.10 mainline.
>

>> And we also want to know the compatibility between the Xenomai4 and rt-patch.
>>

> Compatible.

I see, thank you for your kind reply.

Thanks.