From: Tapasweni Pathak <tapaswenipathak@gmail.com>
To: Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com>
Cc: Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com>,
	Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>,
	Hariom verma <hariom18599@gmail.com>, git <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Unify ref-filter formats with other pretty formats: GSoC'22
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 21:51:51 +0530	[thread overview]

.++git <git@vger.kernel.org>.

Hi Taylor,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 5:31 AM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:

> Hi Tapasweni, Christian,
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 11:21:37AM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
> > Taylor and Junio,
> >
> > For some context, Tapasweni is willing to work outside the GSoC (as it
> > looks like she is not eligible for GSoC as she is not a beginner in
> > open source) on some Git related project as long as she gets some
> > mentorship.
> >
> > Tapasweni, please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Terrific!

I just thought about what could be better with current GSoC
eligibility guidelines and open source in general. Says, I'm not a
beginner.

(something to deep think about)

> Tapasweni: a good summary of the current state of git-scm.com can be
> found in an email I sent here:
>
>     https://lore.kernel.org/git/YkcmtqcFaO7v1jW5@nand.local/
>
> , and I think the section that will be most relevant to you begins with
> "Convert the Rails application into a static site [...]".
>
> In that email, I suggested GitHub Pages as one such hosting provider
> that might suit our needs. But I am not the only decision-maker there,
> that should come from the community. It would be ideal if the service we
> chose was free, or near-free.
>
> It's possible that some providers may want to sponsor git-scm.com's
> hosting as an open-source project. But that's a discussion for another
> day :-).
>
> In the meantime, if you are interested in converting git-scm.com to a
> static site, let me know. As far as I can think, there are only a
> handful of components that aren't static and would need to be replaced.
> Those are: the search bar functionality, some light database work, and
> automatic rebuilding of Git's own documentation. The site's Rakefile is
> a good jumping off point to figure out what some of the non-static parts
> are.
>
> If you're interested, let me know. I'm not fully versed in every corner
> of the site's architecture, but I have a general idea of how things work
> and would be happy to fill in any gaps on your end, and/or explore
> together :-).
I have drafted this for the merger of:
https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/git-scm.com--Bihq4Cxzo3AzCrZqgScRkRo5AQ-LBbrQXZfwvrTMnhdEwhl8

1. Git SCM: https://git-scm.com/
2. Git Developer Pages: https://git.github.io/
3. Git Reference: http://git.github.io/git-reference/

If this looks good, i.e., Jekyll and GitHub Pages (with maybe a new
org? git-scm?), I will fill in the timeline. I have tried to add and
cover all suggestions while working on git-scm w/ Heroku.

Please let me know what everyone thinks.  Let me know if you prefer
Google Doc, paper.dropbox.com requires a signup/sign in.

(This email is to complete the draft document to have a concrete plan)