On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote: > On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Andrew Morton > wrote: >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:41:57 -0500 Rik van Riel wrote: >> >>> > Because of the serial forking there does indeed end up being an >>> > infinite number of vmas. The initial vma can never be deleted >>> > (even though the initial parent process has long since terminated) >>> > because the initial vma is referenced by the children. >>> >>> There is a finite number of VMAs, but an infite number of >>> anon_vmas. >>> >>> Subtle, yet deadly... >> >> Well, we clearly have the data structures screwed up. I've forgotten >> enough about this code for me to be unable to work out what the fixed >> up data structures would look like :( But surely there is some proper >> solution here. Help? > > Not sure if it's right but probably we could reuse on fork an old anon_vma > from the chain if it's already lost all vmas which points to it. > For endlessly forking exploit this should work mostly like proposed patch > which stops branching after some depth but without magic constant. Something like this. I leave proper comment for tomorrow. > >> >>> > I can't say, but it only affects users who fork more than five >>> > levels deep without doing an exec. On the other hand, there are at >>> > least three users (Tim Hartrick, Michal Hocko, and myself) who have >>> > real world applications where the consequence of no patch is a >>> > crashed system. >>> > >>> > I would suggest reading the thread starting with my initial bug >>> > report for what others have had to say about this. >>> >>> I suspect what Andrew is hinting at is that the >>> changelog for the patch should contain a detailed >>> description of exactly what the bug is, how it is >>> triggered, what the symptoms are, and how the >>> patch avoids it. >>> >>> That way people can understand what the code does >>> simply by looking at the changelog - no need to go >>> find old linux-kernel mailing list threads. >> >> Yes please, there's a ton of stuff here which we should attempt to >> capture. >> >> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/15/765 is useful. >> >> I'm assuming that with the "foo < 5" hack, an application which forked >> 5 times then did a lot of work would still trigger the "catastrophic >> issue at page reclaim time" issue which Rik identified at >> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/20/265? >> >> There are real-world workloads which are triggering this slab growth >> problem, yes? (Detail them in the changelog, please). >> >> This bug snuck under my radar last time - we're permitting unprivileged >> userspace to exhaust memory and that's bad. I'm OK with the foo<5 >> thing for -stable kernels, as it is simple. But I'm reluctant to merge >> (or at least to retain) it in mainline because then everyone will run >> away and think about other stuff and this bug will never get fixed >> properly. >> >> -- >> To unsubscribe, send a message with 'unsubscribe linux-mm' in >> the body to majordomo@kvack.org. For more info on Linux MM, >> see: http://www.linux-mm.org/ . >> Don't email: email@kvack.org