* linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the mtd tree
@ 2021-06-15  2:59 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2021-06-15  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring, Richard Weinberger
	Miquel Raynal, Rob Herring, Vignesh Raghavendra

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the devicetree tree got a conflict in:

  Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/ti,am654-hbmc.txt

between commit:

  6947ad674944 ("dt-bindings: mtd: Convert ti, am654-hbmc.txt to YAML schema")

from the mtd tree and commit:

  9b358af7c818 ("dt-bindings: mux: Convert mux controller bindings to schema")

from the devicetree tree.

I fixed it up (the latter removed the file, so I just did that) and can
carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the mtd tree
@ 2021-06-15 16:47 ` Miquel Raynal
From: Miquel Raynal @ 2021-06-15 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
	Linux Next Mailing List, Rob Herring, Vignesh Raghavendra

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2021
12:59:58 +1000:

> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the devicetree tree got a conflict in:
>
>   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/ti,am654-hbmc.txt
>
> between commit:
>
>   6947ad674944 ("dt-bindings: mtd: Convert ti, am654-hbmc.txt to YAML schema")
>
> from the mtd tree and commit:
>
>   9b358af7c818 ("dt-bindings: mux: Convert mux controller bindings to schema")
>
> from the devicetree tree.
>
> I fixed it up (the latter removed the file, so I just did that) and can
> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

Thanks for the warning. Indeed the txt file being touched by
9b358af7c818 is being updated into a yaml file which does not reference
the mux binding anymore.

Rob, how do you want to proceed?

Thanks,
Miquèl

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the mtd tree
@ 2021-06-15 18:57   ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2021-06-15 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miquel Raynal
	Linux Next Mailing List, Vignesh Raghavendra

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM Miquel Raynal
<miquel.raynal@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2021
> 12:59:58 +1000:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the devicetree tree got a conflict in:
> >
> >   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/ti,am654-hbmc.txt
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> >   6947ad674944 ("dt-bindings: mtd: Convert ti, am654-hbmc.txt to YAML schema")
> >
> > from the mtd tree and commit:
> >
> >   9b358af7c818 ("dt-bindings: mux: Convert mux controller bindings to schema")
> >
> > from the devicetree tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (the latter removed the file, so I just did that) and can
> > carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> > concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> > upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging.  You may
> > also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> > tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.
> >

> Thanks for the warning. Indeed the txt file being touched by
> 9b358af7c818 is being updated into a yaml file which does not reference
> the mux binding anymore.
>
> Rob, how do you want to proceed?

It shouldn't be an issue merging as taking the deleted file is simple
enough to resolve.

Rob

* Re: linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the mtd tree
@ 2011-01-05 16:28 ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2011-01-05 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Artem Bityutskiy, David Woodhouse, Rob Herring

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 01:40:22PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the devicetree tree got a conflict in
> drivers/mtd/Kconfig between commit
> b7b6e08f9265db56129931983fc6c06d62c9f4f9 (mtd: Fix MTD_OF_PARTS for all
> arch and minor tidy of MTD_PARTITIONS"") from the mtd tree and commit
> 236cdc7bc718566a7e7cb9f763b51a8dcad88cbe ("of: make drivers depend on
> CONFIG_OF instead of CONFIG_PPC_OF") from the devicetree tree.
>
> I just used the version from the mtd tree.

Thanks Stephen.  I've taken a look at both patches, and I agree that
is the correct resolution.

g.

* linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the mtd tree
@ 2011-01-05  2:40 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2011-01-05  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely
  Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Artem Bityutskiy, David Woodhouse, Rob Herring