From: David Ulricht <david.ulricht434@gmail.com>
To: jon.reeve@gmail.com
Cc: alsa-devel@alsa-project.org
Subject: Re: Subwoofers aren't working on ALC298 (Lenovo Yoga C930 Laptop)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 21:48:51 +0200	[thread overview]

> As far as I can tell, I'm running the latest version of ALSA, since I'm
on NixOS unstable, and

Have you tried any other distribution, something more normal like latest
Fedora or Ubuntu ? Does the subwoofers work there ?
If you run Ubuntu/Fedora you can check the sound settings and pavucontrol
there is selection of speakers usually 2.1 5.1... try those ?
The moment you realize your "tee" is located in
/run/current-system/sw/bin/tee it should ring a bell that something is
wrong with this distribution.
hdajackretask is creating a /lib/firmware/hda-jack-retask.fw (text file)
which is attached to modprobe automatic and creates a file in
/etc/modprobe.d/hda-jack-retask.conf
which contains a line:
options snd-hda-intel patch=hda-jack-retask.fw, hda-jack-retask.fw,
hda-jack-retask.fw, hda-jack-retask.fw
And the content of the hda-jack-retask.fw is something like this:

[codec]
0x10138409 0x106b3300 0

[pincfg]
0x24 0x90100080
0x25 0x90100082
0x26 0x400000f0
0x27 0x400000f0
And you have to make sure those [pincfgs] match with your Windows10
registry of the driver's PinConfigOverride.
You happen to have Windows running on that machine and can extract the
pinconfigoverride or have .ini of the driver? I can help you compare
those.