From: Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@gmail.com>
To: Mark Beierl <Mark.Beierl@dell.com>
Cc: fio <fio@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Static linking and RDB/Rados
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 05:11:53 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 00:53, Beierl, Mark <Mark.Beierl@dell.com> wrote:

> I’ve been doing some playing around with static linking and from the looks of it the static libraries for Rados and RDB are no longer available.  Same goes for some of the libraries needed to enable HTTP (S3) support.
>
> So, I don’t think the options for –build-static are valid anymore.  If anyone has pointers as to how to get the static Rados or RDB libraries, I’d love to hear about it :)

You didn't mention your distro but I think in the case of curl (which
is used for the HTTP/S3 suport) it will be highly environment
dependent. For example, Ubuntu seem to ship a static version of
libcurl (https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libcurl4-gnutls-dev/filelist
and see libcurl-gnutls.a) but I can't see any static libcurl in
regular Fedora packages. In fact, I know that Fedora doesn't ship a
static libaio either and others have been forced to download the
source, build a private copy with a static library and then point fio
at that in they wanted such a binary on Fedora.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/