All of lore.kernel.org
From: Adika Bintang Sulaeman <adikabintang78@gmail.com>
To: Stefan Schmidt <stefan@osg.samsung.com>
Cc: Alexander Aring <alex.aring@gmail.com>,
	linux-wpan@vger.kernel.org, jukka.rissanen@linux.intel.com
Subject: Re: No device found for binding socket ieee802.15.4
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 00:09:22 +0700	[thread overview]

> If you have no specific requirements for the 6LoWPAN part normal
> client/server code written for the Linux IPv6 socket API should work
> over the lowpan0 interface.

Hi Stefan,

I'm sorry if my question would be too stupid or shallow, I just want
to make sure because I'm really new to this.

I have run an example from [1] on client-server model using UDP and
IPv6. To run this example, on the client side I run the command:

"listener <IPv6 of another machine for lowpan interface>%lowpan0
the-payload-is-here"

According to [2], <IPv6 address>%<interface's name> notation means the
machine will try to communicate  to <IPv6 address> machine through the
<interface's name> interface. Hence, I basically have run
client/server program with Linux IPv6 over the lowpan0 interface.
Alexander Aring gave me a good presentation slide [3] and on page 12
it is clearly written that Linux still uses AF_INET6 for 6LoWPAN.

I just want to make sure whether my approach on making client-server
model over 6LoWPAN is right. I am not sure because I don't know
whether the IPv6 header is compressed using 6LoWPAN adaptation layer.

[1] http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/singlepage/bgnet.html#datagram
[2] http://veithen.github.io/2013/12/30/how-to-correctly-parse-ipv6-addresses.html
[3] http://www.netdevconf.org/1.1/proceedings/slides/aring-generic-6lowpan-branch.pdf

Best regards