* Meaning of "Signed-off-by"
@ 2021-09-04  2:28 Sagar Patel
From: Sagar Patel @ 2021-09-04  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man; +Cc: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages), mtk.manpages

Hello,

Does the man-pages project define the meaning of the "Signed-off-by"
clause in a commit message? Per git-commit(1),

> The meaning of a signoff depends on the project to which you're committing.

But I couldn't find a reference to the meaning for man-pages. Is it
the same as the linux kernel [1]?

Since I couldn't find the meaning, I submitted a patch (which was
subsequently accepted) without signing off on it. Sorry about that.

[1]: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst#sign-your-work---the-developers-certificate-of-origin

Thank you,
—Sagar Patel

* Re: Meaning of "Signed-off-by"
@ 2021-09-05 19:47 ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2021-09-05 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sagar Patel; +Cc: linux-man, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)

Hello Sagar

On Sat, 4 Sept 2021 at 04:29, Sagar Patel <sagarmp@cs.unc.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does the man-pages project define the meaning of the "Signed-off-by"
> clause in a commit message? Per git-commit(1),
>
> > The meaning of a signoff depends on the project to which you're committing.
>
> But I couldn't find a reference to the meaning for man-pages. Is it
> the same as the linux kernel [1]?

The intention is that the meaning should be the same as for the kernel.

Thanks,

Michael

* Re: Meaning of "Signed-off-by"
@ 2021-09-06 15:54   ` Sagar Patel
From: Sagar Patel @ 2021-09-06 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages; +Cc: linux-man, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)

Thank you for the clarification, Micheal.

Would it be a good idea to add this information somewhere on the
website, or in the CONTRIBUTING file? I wasn't sure whether it was
implied that the kernel's DCO applied to this project as well.

—Sagar Patel

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 3:47 PM Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
<mtk.manpages@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sagar
>
> On Sat, 4 Sept 2021 at 04:29, Sagar Patel <sagarmp@cs.unc.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does the man-pages project define the meaning of the "Signed-off-by"
> > clause in a commit message? Per git-commit(1),
> >
> > > The meaning of a signoff depends on the project to which you're committing.
> >
> > But I couldn't find a reference to the meaning for man-pages. Is it
> > the same as the linux kernel [1]?
>
> The intention is that the meaning should be the same as for the kernel.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

* Re: Meaning of "Signed-off-by"
@ 2021-09-06 23:57     ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2021-09-06 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sagar Patel; +Cc: linux-man, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)

Hello Sagar,

On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 17:54, Sagar Patel <sagarmp@cs.unc.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for the clarification, Micheal.
>
> Would it be a good idea to add this information somewhere on the
> website, or in the CONTRIBUTING file? I wasn't sure whether it was
> implied that the kernel's DCO applied to this project as well.

Good idea! I've added some text at
https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/patches.html. Seem okay?

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

* Re: Meaning of "Signed-off-by"
@ 2021-09-07  4:42       ` Sagar Patel
From: Sagar Patel @ 2021-09-07  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages; +Cc: linux-man, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)

> > Would it be a good idea to add this information somewhere on the
> > website, or in the CONTRIBUTING file? I wasn't sure whether it was
> > implied that the kernel's DCO applied to this project as well.
>
> Good idea! I've added some text at
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/patches.html. Seem okay?

I like it! Minor spelling error: please change "neas" to "near". Other
than that, it looks good. Thanks!

—Sagar Patel