* Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-23 22:28 Cody Piersall
From: Cody Piersall @ 2017-03-23 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
function defined like this:

do_install_append () {
    rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
}

which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.

Thanks,
Cody

* Re: Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-28 16:28 ` Matthew McClintock
From: Matthew McClintock @ 2017-03-28 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cody Piersall; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Cody Piersall <cody@arrc.ou.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
> function defined like this:
>
> do_install_append () {
>     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
> }
>
> which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
> context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
> function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
> defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.

We hit this sometime so curious if anyone has better suggestions. But
you can add a do_install_prepend to save the data somewhere, and an
append to put it back. Also, you can use the priority of your layer
could come into play here.

-M

* Re: Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-28 17:27 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-03-28 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cody Piersall; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Cody Piersall <cody@arrc.ou.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
> function defined like this:
>
> do_install_append () {
>     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
> }
>
> which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
> context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
> function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
> defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.

if its in a bbappend, there is not much you can do about undoing it except
to not apply the bbappend or modify it directly.

So you can send a patch to meta-oe to convince that its a good idea to keep
/usr/share for zsh, or you can carry a local patch to meta-oe where you undo it

@ 2017-03-28 18:19   ` Lennart Sorensen
From: Lennart Sorensen @ 2017-03-28 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:27:15AM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Cody Piersall <cody@arrc.ou.edu> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
> > function defined like this:
> >
> > do_install_append () {
> >     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
> > }
> >
> > which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
> > context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
> > function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
> > defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.
> >

> if its in a bbappend, there is not much you can do about undoing it except
> to not apply the bbappend or modify it directly.
>
> So you can send a patch to meta-oe to convince that its a good idea to keep
> /usr/share for zsh, or you can carry a local patch to meta-oe where you undo it

Perhaps instead of deleting it, it should be put in another package that
people can choose to install if they want it.  Deleting it certainly
does seem rather unfortunate if someone actulally wanted it.

--
Len Sorensen

* Re: Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-28 18:25     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-03-28 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Sorensen; +Cc: yocto

On 3/28/17 11:19 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:27:15AM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Cody Piersall <cody@arrc.ou.edu> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
>>> function defined like this:
>>>
>>> do_install_append () {
>>>     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
>>> }
>>>
>>> which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
>>> context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
>>> function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
>>> defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.
>>>

>> if its in a bbappend, there is not much you can do about undoing it except
>> to not apply the bbappend or modify it directly.
>>
>> So you can send a patch to meta-oe to convince that its a good idea to keep
>> /usr/share for zsh, or you can carry a local patch to meta-oe where you undo it
>
> Perhaps instead of deleting it, it should be put in another package that
> people can choose to install if they want it.  Deleting it certainly
> does seem rather unfortunate if someone actulally wanted it.

We put common stuff in commonly used layers. Secondly, a patch to
package the content of /usr/share into a package of its own something
like zsh-misc might be OK and we don't have to delete it and keep both
camps happy.

* Re: Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-24 14:11   ` Cody Piersall
From: Cody Piersall @ 2017-03-24 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Cody Piersall wrote:
>> I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
>> function defined like this:
>>
>> do_install_append () {
>>     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
>> }
>>
>> which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
>> context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
>> function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
>> defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.
>
>   it might be worth asking why zsh is doing that in the first place.
> if one doesn't want all that stuff, *that* is where an append could be
> used to remove it. i think zsh removing it by default is
> inappropriate.
>
> rday

Good point. I've now posted a patch to the meta-oe mailing list:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2017-March/134575.html

@ 2017-03-24 13:56 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-03-24 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cody Piersall; +Cc: yocto

On 24 March 2017 at 13:49, Cody Piersall <cody@arrc.ou.edu> wrote:

> I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
> function defined like this:
>
> do_install_append () {
>     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
> }
>
> which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
> context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
> function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
> defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.

Fixing the zsh recipe to have either separate packages or PACKAGECONFIGs
for the useful stuff would be the proper solution, but a really nasty hack
that might work is:

do_install_remove = "rm -rf ${D}/usr/share"

Ross

* Re: Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-24 13:55   ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-03-24 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 03/24/2017 03:53 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Cody Piersall wrote:

>> do_install_append () {
>>     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
>> }
>>
>> which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
>> context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
>> function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
>> defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.
>
>   it might be worth asking why zsh is doing that in the first place.
> if one doesn't want all that stuff, *that* is where an append could be
> used to remove it. i think zsh removing it by default is
> inappropriate.

That's right; it's better to fix the original recipe and send the patch
so it can be included in meta-oe. What is written in recipes is not some
kind of Universal Truth; if you see how things could be done better, go
ahead and do it.

Alex

* Re: Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-24 13:53 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2017-03-24 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cody Piersall; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Cody Piersall wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am building zsh from meta-oe layer, and it has a do_install_append()
> function defined like this:
>
> do_install_append () {
>     rm -fr ${D}/usr/share
> }
>
> which gets rid of lots lots of useful functionality, like
> context-aware autocompletion.  Can a bbappend file get rid of that
> function, or do I need to edit the actual recipe? I've attempted
> defining an empty do_install_append() { : } but it didn't work.

  it might be worth asking why zsh is doing that in the first place.
if one doesn't want all that stuff, *that* is where an append could be
used to remove it. i think zsh removing it by default is
inappropriate.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Remove a recipe's do_install_append() function in an append file
@ 2017-03-24 13:49 Cody Piersall