* cc1 binary in final rootfs even when no reference to it
@ 2021-03-03 14:09 Marek Belisko
From: Marek Belisko @ 2021-03-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

on dunfell images I start seeing that cc1 binary (checked by buildhistory):
files-in-image.txt:-rwxr-xr-x root       root         17674124
./usr/libexec/gcc/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/9.3.0/cc1

is present in the final image. I check taskexp but cannot find any
reference which pointes to it.
Any ideas how to check or it's a common problem?

Thanks and regards,

marek

--
as simple and primitive as possible
Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA

Tel: +421 915 052 184
skype: marekwhite
twitter: #opennandra
web: http://open-nandra.com

* Re: [yocto] cc1 binary in final rootfs even when no reference to it
@ 2021-03-03 17:30 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-03-03 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Belisko; +Cc: yocto

this file comes from cpp output package. Can you check if somehow cpp
is being pulled into your image

@ 2021-03-03 19:29   ` Marek Belisko
From: Marek Belisko @ 2021-03-03 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 6:31 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> this file comes from cpp output package. Can you check if somehow cpp
> is being pulled into your image
It turns out that cpp + cpp-symlinks is pulled by python3-pycparser.
It is really necessary to be as runtime dependency in recipe?

--

@ 2021-03-04  0:06     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-03-04  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Belisko Marek; +Cc: yocto

On 3/3/21 11:29 AM, Belisko Marek wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 6:31 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> this file comes from cpp output package. Can you check if somehow cpp
>> is being pulled into your image
> It turns out that cpp + cpp-symlinks is pulled by python3-pycparser.
> It is really necessary to be as runtime dependency in recipe?

it a parser for C language written in python, so my initial thoughts
will be no. but there might be some dependencies on cpp, you might have
to dive a bit deeper.

@ 2021-03-04 18:02       ` Anders Montonen
From: Anders Montonen @ 2021-03-04 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 4.3.2021 2.06, Khem Raj wrote:
> On 3/3/21 11:29 AM, Belisko Marek wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 6:31 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> this file comes from cpp output package. Can you check if somehow cpp
>>> is being pulled into your image
>> It turns out that cpp + cpp-symlinks is pulled by python3-pycparser.
>> It is really necessary to be as runtime dependency in recipe?
> it a parser for C language written in python, so my initial thoughts
> will be no. but there might be some dependencies on cpp, you might
> have to dive a bit deeper.

I've run into this, and from memory cpp is needed if you intend to run
the parser, but since the dependency is added through
RDEPENDS_${PN}_class-target it gets installed even if you're only
running the parser on the host. I ended up removing the target
dependency due to license conflicts, and didn't encounter any problems.

-anders

* Re: [yocto] cc1 binary in final rootfs even when no reference to it
@ 2021-03-04 18:17         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-03-04 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:04 AM Anders Montonen <Anders.Montonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 4.3.2021 2.06, Khem Raj wrote:

> >> It turns out that cpp + cpp-symlinks is pulled by python3-pycparser.
> >> It is really necessary to be as runtime dependency in recipe?
> > it a parser for C language written in python, so my initial thoughts
> > will be no. but there might be some dependencies on cpp, you might
> > have to dive a bit deeper.
>

> I've run into this, and from memory cpp is needed if you intend to run
> the parser, but since the dependency is added through
> RDEPENDS_${PN}_class-target it gets installed even if you're only
> running the parser on the host. I ended up removing the target
> dependency due to license conflicts, and didn't encounter any problems.

right perhaps its fine to drop this and maybe add it as rsuggests or something