* first of many questions on wic and associated documentation
@ 2021-08-15 18:16 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-08-15 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

  as i am just beginning my adventure with the current wic
documentation, i suspect i will have many questions, so let's start
here:

http://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/common-tasks.html#requirements

  first, the docs imply that you have to manually build some packages:

  "You must build several native tools, which are built to run on the
build system:

  $ bitbake parted-native dosfstools-native mtools-native"

except that there is a "wic-tools.bb" recipe that appears to handle
that, and i'm going to assume it's called as part of the wic
processing, so that the doc seems a bit over-ambitious in what it
needs the developer to do.

  and right below that:

  "Include the name of the wic kickstart file as part of the WKS_FILE
variable"

  except that makes no mention of the WKS_FILES variable.

  thoughts?

rday

* Re: [docs] first of many questions on wic and associated documentation
@ 2021-08-15 18:33 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-08-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 11:16 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   as i am just beginning my adventure with the current wic
> documentation, i suspect i will have many questions, so let's start
> here:
>
> http://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/common-tasks.html#requirements
>
>   first, the docs imply that you have to manually build some packages:
>
>   "You must build several native tools, which are built to run on the
> build system:
>
>   $ bitbake parted-native dosfstools-native mtools-native"

I think this perhaps can be omitted.

> except that there is a "wic-tools.bb" recipe that appears to handle
> that, and i'm going to assume it's called as part of the wic
> processing, so that the doc seems a bit over-ambitious in what it
> needs the developer to do.
>
>   and right below that:
>
>   "Include the name of the wic kickstart file as part of the WKS_FILE
> variable"
>
>   except that makes no mention of the WKS_FILES variable.
>
>   thoughts?

maybe WKS_FILES should be better documented as well.

@ 2021-08-16  8:09   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-08-16  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021, Khem Raj wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 11:16 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >

> >   as i am just beginning my adventure with the current wic
> > documentation, i suspect i will have many questions, so let's start
> > here:
> >
> > http://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/common-tasks.html#requirements
> >
> >   first, the docs imply that you have to manually build some packages:
> >
> >   "You must build several native tools, which are built to run on the
> > build system:
> >
> >   $ bitbake parted-native dosfstools-native mtools-native"
> >

> I think this perhaps can be omitted.

  once i figure all this out, i volunteer to update the wic docs --
best way to actually understand it. but first, all the questions. :-)

> > except that there is a "wic-tools.bb" recipe that appears to handle
> > that, and i'm going to assume it's called as part of the wic
> > processing, so that the doc seems a bit over-ambitious in what it
> > needs the developer to do.
> >
> >   and right below that:
> >
> >   "Include the name of the wic kickstart file as part of the WKS_FILE
> > variable"
> >
> >   except that makes no mention of the WKS_FILES variable.
> >
> >   thoughts?
>
> maybe WKS_FILES should be better documented as well.

  i mentioned recently there are a number of wic-related variables
that are missing from the glossary; i'm making a list.

rday