From: Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com>
To: Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org>
Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	<openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org>
Subject: Re: GCC 9 Drops Support For Older ARM Microarchitecture Versions
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 11:07:55 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GCC-9-Dropping-Older-ARM
>
> Particularly, ARMv5 and ARMv5E are being dropped (but T and TE variants
> remain)
>
> Are there any concerns from OE community perspective?

From yocto project perspctive qemuarm which is emulating arm926ejs
with default tune armv5te is used.
so we are right at the trailing edge and wont be affected. However, I
know there were OE users who had
devices using other armv5 or v4 variants

I have been suggesting to switch qemuarm to use armv7 based board
emulator for few years now.
may be this is the time to make that call for next YP release.

> At least for binutils we needed this patch even for armv5te:
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/binutils/binutils/0007-Add-the-armv5e-architecture-to-binutils.patch

this patch technically required to support one of OEs available tune
values. namely armv5e, we should be
able to drop it.