From: Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@gmail.com>
To: Jakub Narebski <jnareb@gmail.com>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Questions for "Git User's Survey 2011"
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:53:54 +0300	[thread overview]

2011/7/25 Jakub Narebski <jnareb@gmail.com>:
> I am planning doing annual Git User's Survey, and I'd like to ask for
> feedback.

> === 16. Which of the following Git features do you use? ===
> (multiple choice, with other)
>
>  + localization of command-line messages (i18n)
>  + git bundle (off-line transport)
>
>  + eol conversion (crlf or eol)
>  + gitattributes (any)
>  + custom diff/merge driver
>  + word diff
>  + merge strategy options (e.g. -Xrenormalize)
>  + textconv
>
>  + submodules (subprojects)
>  + subtree merge (optionally git-subtree)
>
>  + partial (sparse) checkout, or assume-unchanged bit
>
>  + separate worktree / core.worktree
>  + multiple worktrees (e.g. git-new-worktree)
>  + gitdir mechanism (.git file pointing to repository)
>
>  + alternates mechanism (sharing object database)
>  + stash (optionally "git stash --keep-index")
>  + shallow clone (e.g. "git clone --depth=<n>")
>  + detaching HEAD (e.g. "git checkout --detach")
>  + commit message templates
>  + interactive commit / per-hunk comitting / partial commit
>  + interactive rebase (small scale history editing)
>  + git-filter-branch or equivalent (large history rewriting)
>  + bisect (optionally "git bisect run <script>")
>  + tracking code movement with git-blame ("git blame -M" etc.)
>  + committing with dirty tree (keeping some changes uncommitted)
>
>  + non-default hooks (from contrib/hooks/ or other)
>  + shell completion of commands
>  + git-aware shell prompt
>  + git aliases, shell aliases for git, or own git scripts
>
>  + one-way interaction with other SCMs (from SCM to git)
>  + two-way interaction with other SCMs (from SCM to git, from git to SCM)
>
>  + git-cvsserver
>  + git notes
>

>  + Other, please specify
>
> NOTES:
> ^^^^^^
> The problem is come up not with exhaustive list of features: there are
> too many of them to list.  The problem is coming up with list of
> important and used enough often features.
>
> So: what features should be included in this list?  What features
> should be removed from above list of answers?

*staging*! I have suggested this multiple times, it should be here this one!

- stage add / partial commit / interactive commit / per-hunk comitting
(e.g. git add -u/-i/-p)
+ stage / partial or interactive commits (e.g. git add -u/-i/-p, git
diff --cached)

> === 19. Overall, how happy are you with Git? ===
> (single choice)
>
>  * unhappy
>  * not so happy
>  * happy
>  * very happy
>  * completely ecstatic
>
> NOTES:
> ^^^^^^
> I'm not sure if this question is at all useful.
>
> There is also problem, that the current wording is considered biased
> by some, but on the other hand changing wording of answers would make
> it impossible to compare it to answers from previous surveys...

What wording would you use?

> === 20. In your opinion, which areas in Git need improvement? ===
>        Please state your preference.
> (matrix)
>
>   Columns: don't need / a little / some / much
>  + user-interface
>  + documentation
>  + performance
>  + more features
>  + tools (e.g. GUI)
>  + localization (translation)
>
> NOTES:
> ^^^^^^
> Are there any general areas that are missing from this list?
> What are they?

IDE integration, portability?

> == About this survey. Open forum. ==
>
> === 26. How did you hear about this Git User's Survey? ===
> (single choice, with other)
>
>  * git mailing list
>  * git-related mailing list (e.g. msysGit, Git for Human Beings)
>  * mailing list or forum of some project
>  * #git IRC channel topic
>  * announcement on IRC channel
>  * git homepage
>  * git wiki
>  * git hosting site (or blog related to such site)
>  * software-related web site
>  * news or social news site (e.g. Digg, Reddit)
>  * blog (or blog planet)
>  * other kind of web site
>  * Twitter or other microblogging platform
>
>  * other - please specify
>
> NOTES:
> ^^^^^^
> This list would of course be updated to reflect the list of (planned)
> announcement channels.
>
> There of course will be announcement on Git Mailing List, and perhaps
> also on msysGit list / Google Group, and on Git For Human Beings
> Google Group (if it exists).  I'll announce it on #git, and ask op to
> put short announcement in channel description, and I can announce it
> on other IRC channels.  I would add announcement to main page of Git
> Wiki, and as Git Homepage administrator to put announcement about Git
> User's Survey.
>
> I usually tried to contact administrators of git hosting sites,
> including git.kernel.org, repo.or.cz, GitHub, Gitorious, Assembla,
> Codebase and Unfuddle, asking them to put announcement about
> Git User's Survey either somewhere on the site, or in their blog
> (if there is any).  What git hosting sites it is worth to ask?

Google+ (maybe facebook).

> I would like to have announcement of Git User's Survey 2010 at
> LWN.net, but this would need to be send at least two weeks in advance,
> if I remember correctly.  Is it worth it?  What other news site should
> I (or you) send announcement to?
>
> If you can Digg / Reddit announcment on some site, please do.  I can
> announce Git User's Survey 2-1- at Twitter, Identi.ca and Plurk, but I
> don't have wide area of followers.  So please RT.

I can post it on reddit :)

> Should we contact some bloggers (besides asking Junio to put
> announcement on his blog) to post an anouncement?  Which bloggers
> would respond positively (perhaps Linus...)?

I can post it on gitlog. It looks like there are now many people checking it.

--
Felipe Contreras