From: Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com>
To: Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@gmail.com>
Cc: saeedm@dev.mellanox.co.il, Eric Dumazet <edumazet@google.com>,
	Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@mellanox.com>,
	Tariq Toukan <tariqt@mellanox.com>
Subject: Re: [Patch net v3] mlx5: force CHECKSUM_NONE for short ethernet frames
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 13:20:57 -0800	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:16 PM Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Erm I never suggested to get rid of CHECKSUM_COMPLETE...
> My suggestion was to reorder the mlx5 logic to match mlx4 one.
>
> CHECKSUM_COMPLETE is very nice _when_/_if_ the NIC is unable to
> fully dissect a packet and validate L4, as a fallback.

Quote from Eric:

"For native IP+TCP or IP+UDP, the NIC has the ability to fully
understand the packet and fully validate the checksum."

Therefore CHECKSUM_COMPLETE is not nice here.

> I am pretty sure for example that IP reassembly can benefit from CHECKSUM_COMPLETE.
> (Although for some reason mlx4 code does not handle IPv6 fragments in its CHECKSUM_COMPLETE path)

I am pretty sure mlx5 driver code doesn't check for IP fragments.

My patch is dropped, let's keep the current code as it is and pretend
everything just works fine.

Thanks a lot!