From: Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org>
To: Thara Gopinath <thara.gopinath@linaro.org>,
	Eric Biggers <ebiggers@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Qualcomm Crypto Engine performance numbers on mainline kernel
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 17:32:59 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Thara,

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 at 18:49, Thara Gopinath <thara.gopinath@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Below are the performance numbers from running "crypsetup benchmark" on
> CE algorithms in the mainline kernel. All numbers are in MiB/s. The
> platform used is RB3 for sdm845 and MTPs for rest of them.
>

>                         SDM845    SM8150     SM8250     SM8350
> AES-CBC (128)
> Encrypt / Decrypt       114/106  36/48       120/188    133/197
>
> AES-XTS (256)
> Encrypt / Decrypt       100/102  49/48       186/187    n/a

The CPU instruction based ones are apparently an order of magnitude
faster, and are synchronous so their latency should be lower.

So, as Eric already pointed out IIRC, there doesn't seem to be much
value in enabling this IP in Linux - it should not be the default
choice/highest priority, and it is not obvious to me whether/when you
would prefer this implementation over the CPU based one. Do you have
any idea how many queues it has, or how much data it can process in
parallel? Are there other features that stand out?