* NVMe Generic Devices Linux x Windows
@ 2015-12-18 19:17 Angelo Brito
From: Angelo Brito @ 2015-12-18 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All,

I have a generic NVMe device that works perfectly on Linux but does
not work on Windows. The device is recognized as a Default NVMe
Controller with Microsoft as vendor but issue an error code 10: This
device cannot start. I am aware that this is a generic error code and
could mean any thing.

I have started to debug from the device perspective and the Host CPU
just writes the MSI configuration registers during startup. I use
Altera?s PCIe Hard IP to implement the PCIe and my controller is
hosted on FPGA. The NVMe controller was never started. Is it an
expected behavior to work on Linux but not on windows?
Someone can share any more leads to debug? Why windows doesn?t start my device?

Regards,
Angelo Silva Brito.
B.S. in Computer Engineering - UFPE Brazil
http://about.me/angelobrito

* NVMe Generic Devices Linux x Windows
@ 2015-12-20  8:28 ` Ian Bakshan
From: Ian Bakshan @ 2015-12-20  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Angelo,

I recommend to open a support ticket to the Windows driver provider.
In case this is a Windows built-in driver you need to open the support
ticket at Microsoft Support Center.

BR,
Ian

@ 2015-12-20 19:02   ` Angelo Brito
From: Angelo Brito @ 2015-12-20 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Ian.
It is really a windows problem. The native driver version is too old.

@ 2015-12-23 23:26     ` J Freyensee
From: J Freyensee @ 2015-12-23 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2015-12-20@16:02 -0300, Angelo Brito wrote:
> Thanks Ian.
> It is really a windows problem. The native driver version is too old.

There is an actively maintained open-source NVMe Windows driver you can
try and see if that works:

https://www.openfabrics.org/index.php/windows-nvm-express/nvm-express-s
ubversion-repos.html

@ 2015-12-24  2:49       ` Angelo Brito
From: Angelo Brito @ 2015-12-24  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeah, I have installed the release 1.4 and it works. The problem is
with the native from Windows.
I have to investigate further why this happens.
But hey, Linux driver works and I am very pleased with it. ;)