* interrupted rpcs problem
@ 2020-01-10 19:29 Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2020-01-10 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

Hi folks,

We are having an issue with an interrupted RPCs again. Here's what I
see when xfstests were ctrl-c-ed.

frame 332 SETATTR call slot=0 seqid=0x000013ca (I'm assuming this is
interrupted and released)
frame 333 CLOSE call slot=0 seqid=0x000013cb  (only way the slot could
be free before the reply if it was interrupted, right? Otherwise we
should never have the slot used by more than one outstanding RPC)
frame 334 reply to 333 with SEQ_MIS_ORDERED (I'm assuming server
received frame 333 before 332)
frame 336 CLOSE call slot=0 seqid=0x000013ca (??? why did we
decremented it. I mean I know why it's in the current code :-/ )
frame 337 reply to 336 SEQUENCE with ERR_DELAY
frame 339 reply to 332 SETATTR which nobody is waiting for
frame 543 CLOSE call slot=0 seqid=0x000013ca (retry after waiting for err_delay)
frame 544 reply to 543 with SETATTR (out of the cache).

What this leads to is: file is never closed on the server. Can't
remove it. Unmount fails with CLID_BUSY.

I believe that's the result of commit 3453d5708b33efe76f40eca1c0ed60923094b971.
We used to have code that bumped the sequence up when the slot was
interrupted but after the commit "NFSv4.1: Avoid false retries when
RPC calls are interrupted".

Commit has this "The obvious fix is to bump the sequence number
pre-emptively if an
    RPC call is interrupted, but in order to deal with the corner cases
    where the interrupted call is not actually received and processed by
    the server, we need to interpret the error NFS4ERR_SEQ_MISORDERED
    as a sign that we need to either wait or locate a correct sequence
    number that lies between the value we sent, and the last value that
    was acked by a SEQUENCE call on that slot."

If we can't no longer just bump the sequence up, I don't think the
correct action is to automatically bump it down (as per example here)?
The commit doesn't describe the corner case where it was necessary to
bump the sequence up. I wonder if we can return the knowledge of the
interrupted slot and make a decision based on that as well as whatever
the other corner case is.

I guess what I'm getting is, can somebody (Trond) provide the info for
the corner case for this that patch was created. I can see if I can
fix the "common" case which is now broken and not break the corner
case....

Thank you

* Re: interrupted rpcs problem
@ 2020-01-10 21:03 ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2020-01-10 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs, aglo

On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 14:29 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We are having an issue with an interrupted RPCs again. Here's what I
> see when xfstests were ctrl-c-ed.
>
> frame 332 SETATTR call slot=0 seqid=0x000013ca (I'm assuming this is
> interrupted and released)
> frame 333 CLOSE call slot=0 seqid=0x000013cb  (only way the slot
> could
> be free before the reply if it was interrupted, right? Otherwise we
> should never have the slot used by more than one outstanding RPC)
> frame 334 reply to 333 with SEQ_MIS_ORDERED (I'm assuming server
> received frame 333 before 332)
> frame 336 CLOSE call slot=0 seqid=0x000013ca (??? why did we
> decremented it. I mean I know why it's in the current code :-/ )
> frame 337 reply to 336 SEQUENCE with ERR_DELAY
> frame 339 reply to 332 SETATTR which nobody is waiting for
> frame 543 CLOSE call slot=0 seqid=0x000013ca (retry after waiting for
> err_delay)
> frame 544 reply to 543 with SETATTR (out of the cache).
>
> What this leads to is: file is never closed on the server. Can't
> remove it. Unmount fails with CLID_BUSY.
>
> I believe that's the result of commit
> 3453d5708b33efe76f40eca1c0ed60923094b971.
> We used to have code that bumped the sequence up when the slot was
> interrupted but after the commit "NFSv4.1: Avoid false retries when
> RPC calls are interrupted".
>
> Commit has this "The obvious fix is to bump the sequence number
> pre-emptively if an
>     RPC call is interrupted, but in order to deal with the corner
> cases
>     where the interrupted call is not actually received and processed
> by
>     the server, we need to interpret the error NFS4ERR_SEQ_MISORDERED
>     as a sign that we need to either wait or locate a correct
> sequence
>     number that lies between the value we sent, and the last value
> that
>     was acked by a SEQUENCE call on that slot."
>
> If we can't no longer just bump the sequence up, I don't think the
> correct action is to automatically bump it down (as per example
> here)?
> The commit doesn't describe the corner case where it was necessary to
> bump the sequence up. I wonder if we can return the knowledge of the
> interrupted slot and make a decision based on that as well as
> whatever
> the other corner case is.
>
> I guess what I'm getting is, can somebody (Trond) provide the info
> for
> the corner case for this that patch was created. I can see if I can
> fix the "common" case which is now broken and not break the corner
> case....

There is no pure client side solution for this problem.

The change was made because if you have multiple interruptions of the
RPC call, then the client has to somehow figure out what the correct
slot number is. If it starts low, and then goes high, and the server is
not caching the arguments for the RPC call that is in the session
cache, then we will _always_ hit this bug because we will always hit
the replay of the last entry.

At least if we start high, and iterate by low, then we reduce the
problem to being a race with the processing of the interrupted request
as it is in this case.

However, as I said, the real solution here has to involve the server.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace

* Re: interrupted rpcs problem
@ 2020-01-13 16:08   ` Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2020-01-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 4:03 PM Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > the corner case for this that patch was created. I can see if I can
> > fix the "common" case which is now broken and not break the corner
> > case....
> >

> There is no pure client side solution for this problem.
>
> The change was made because if you have multiple interruptions of the
> RPC call, then the client has to somehow figure out what the correct
> slot number is. If it starts low, and then goes high, and the server is
> not caching the arguments for the RPC call that is in the session
> cache, then we will _always_ hit this bug because we will always hit
> the replay of the last entry.
>
> At least if we start high, and iterate by low, then we reduce the
> problem to being a race with the processing of the interrupted request
> as it is in this case.
>
> However, as I said, the real solution here has to involve the server.

Ok I see your point that if the server cached the arguments, then the
server would tell that 2nd rpc using the same slot+seqid has different
args and would not use the replay cache.

However, I wonder if the client can do better. Can't we be more aware
of when we are interrupting the rpc? For instance, if we are
interrupted after we started to wait on the RPC, doesn't it mean the
rpc is sent on the network and since network is reliable then server
must have consumed the seqid for that slot (in this case increment
seqid)? That's the case that's failing now.

I really don't understand where the process is interrupted so that the
client consumes the seqid but the rpc never gets on the network. I see
the only other place is in call_allocate(). If that's the case, then
we can distinguish those two places and treat them differently (in
this case decrement seqid)?

@ 2020-01-13 16:49     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2020-01-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aglo; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 11:08 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> [...]
> > problem to being a race with the processing of the interrupted
> > request
> > as it is in this case.
> >
> > However, as I said, the real solution here has to involve the
> > server.
>
> Ok I see your point that if the server cached the arguments, then the
> server would tell that 2nd rpc using the same slot+seqid has
> different
> args and would not use the replay cache.
>
> However, I wonder if the client can do better. Can't we be more aware
> of when we are interrupting the rpc? For instance, if we are
> interrupted after we started to wait on the RPC, doesn't it mean the
> rpc is sent on the network and since network is reliable then server
> must have consumed the seqid for that slot (in this case increment
> seqid)? That's the case that's failing now.

"Reliable transport" does not mean that a client knows what got
received and processed by the server and what didn't. All the client
knows is that if the connection is still up, then the TCP layer will
keep retrying transmission of the request. There are plenty of error
scenarios where the client gets no information back as to whether or
not the data was received by the server (e.g. due to lost ACKs).

Furthermore, if a RPC call is interrupted on the client, either due to
a timeout or a signal, then it almost always ends up breaking the
connection in order to avoid corruption of the data stream (by
interrupting the transmission before the entire RPC call has been
sent). You generally have to be lucky to see the timeout/signal occur
only when all the RPC calls being cancelled have exactly fit into the
socket buffer.

Finally, just because the server's TCP layer ACKed receipt of the RPC
call data, that does not mean that it will process that call. The
connection could break before the call is read out of the receiving
socket, or the server may later decide to drop it on the floor and
break the connection.

IOW: the RPC protocol here is not that "reliable transport implies
processing is guaranteed". It is rather that "connection is still up
implies processing may eventually occur".

--

@ 2020-01-13 18:09       ` Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2020-01-13 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:49 AM Trond Myklebust
<trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 11:08 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 4:03 PM Trond Myklebust <
> > trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> > > There is no pure client side solution for this problem.
> > >
> > > The change was made because if you have multiple interruptions of
> > > the
> > > RPC call, then the client has to somehow figure out what the
> > > correct
> > > slot number is. If it starts low, and then goes high, and the
> > > server is
> > > not caching the arguments for the RPC call that is in the session
> > > cache, then we will _always_ hit this bug because we will always
> > > hit
> > > the replay of the last entry.
> > >
> > > At least if we start high, and iterate by low, then we reduce the
> > > problem to being a race with the processing of the interrupted
> > > request
> > > as it is in this case.
> > >
> > > However, as I said, the real solution here has to involve the
> > > server.
> >
> > Ok I see your point that if the server cached the arguments, then the
> > server would tell that 2nd rpc using the same slot+seqid has
> > different
> > args and would not use the replay cache.
> >
> > However, I wonder if the client can do better. Can't we be more aware
> > of when we are interrupting the rpc? For instance, if we are
> > interrupted after we started to wait on the RPC, doesn't it mean the
> > rpc is sent on the network and since network is reliable then server
> > must have consumed the seqid for that slot (in this case increment
> > seqid)? That's the case that's failing now.
> >

> "Reliable transport" does not mean that a client knows what got
> received and processed by the server and what didn't. All the client
> knows is that if the connection is still up, then the TCP layer will
> keep retrying transmission of the request. There are plenty of error
> scenarios where the client gets no information back as to whether or
> not the data was received by the server (e.g. due to lost ACKs).
>
> Furthermore, if a RPC call is interrupted on the client, either due to
> a timeout or a signal,

What timeout are you referring to here since 4.1 rcp can't timeout. I
think it only leaves a signal.

> then it almost always ends up breaking the
> connection in order to avoid corruption of the data stream (by
> interrupting the transmission before the entire RPC call has been
> sent). You generally have to be lucky to see the timeout/signal occur
> only when all the RPC calls being cancelled have exactly fit into the
> socket buffer.

Wouldn't a retransmission (due to a connection reset for whatever
reason) be different and doesn't involve reprocessing of the slot.

> Finally, just because the server's TCP layer ACKed receipt of the RPC
> call data, that does not mean that it will process that call. The
> connection could break before the call is read out of the receiving
> socket, or the server may later decide to drop it on the floor and
> break the connection.
>
> IOW: the RPC protocol here is not that "reliable transport implies
> processing is guaranteed". It is rather that "connection is still up
> implies processing may eventually occur".

"eventually occur" means that its process of the rpc is guaranteed "in
time". Again unless the client is broken, we can't have more than an
interrupted rpc (that has nothing waiting) and the next rpc (both of
which will be re-transmitted if connection is dropped) going to the
server.

Can we distinguish between interrupted due to re-transmission and
interrupted due to ctrl-c of the thread? If we can't, then I'll stop
arguing that client can do better.

But right now we are left in a bad state. Client leaves opened state
on the server and will not allow for files to be deleted. I think in
case the "next rpc" is the write that will never be completed it would
leave the machine in a hung state. I just don't see how can you
justify that having the current code is any better than having the
solution that was there before.

@ 2020-01-13 18:24         ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2020-01-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aglo; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 13:09 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:49 AM Trond Myklebust
> <trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 11:08 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:

> > > Ok I see your point that if the server cached the arguments, then
> > > the
> > > server would tell that 2nd rpc using the same slot+seqid has
> > > different
> > > args and would not use the replay cache.
> > >
> > > However, I wonder if the client can do better. Can't we be more
> > > aware
> > > of when we are interrupting the rpc? For instance, if we are
> > > interrupted after we started to wait on the RPC, doesn't it mean
> > > the
> > > rpc is sent on the network and since network is reliable then
> > > server
> > > must have consumed the seqid for that slot (in this case
> > > increment
> > > seqid)? That's the case that's failing now.
> > >

> > "Reliable transport" does not mean that a client knows what got
> > received and processed by the server and what didn't. All the
> > client
> > knows is that if the connection is still up, then the TCP layer
> > will
> > keep retrying transmission of the request. There are plenty of
> > error
> > scenarios where the client gets no information back as to whether
> > or
> > not the data was received by the server (e.g. due to lost ACKs).
> >
> > Furthermore, if a RPC call is interrupted on the client, either due
> > a timeout or a signal,
>
> What timeout are you referring to here since 4.1 rcp can't timeout. I
> think it only leaves a signal.

If you use 'soft' or 'softerr' mount options, then NFSv4.1 will time
out when the server is being unresponsive. That behaviour is different
to the behaviour under a signal, but has the same effect of
interrupting the RPC call without us being able to know if the server
received the data.

> > then it almost always ends up breaking the
> > connection in order to avoid corruption of the data stream (by
> > interrupting the transmission before the entire RPC call has been
> > sent). You generally have to be lucky to see the timeout/signal
> > occur
> > only when all the RPC calls being cancelled have exactly fit into
> > the
> > socket buffer.
>
> Wouldn't a retransmission (due to a connection reset for whatever
> reason) be different and doesn't involve reprocessing of the slot.

I'm not talking about retransmissions here. I'm talking only about
NFSv4.x RPC calls that suffer a fatal interruption (i.e. no
retransmission).

> > Finally, just because the server's TCP layer ACKed receipt of the
> > RPC
> > call data, that does not mean that it will process that call. The
> > connection could break before the call is read out of the receiving
> > socket, or the server may later decide to drop it on the floor and
> > break the connection.
> >
> > IOW: the RPC protocol here is not that "reliable transport implies
> > processing is guaranteed". It is rather that "connection is still
> > up
> > implies processing may eventually occur".
>
> "eventually occur" means that its process of the rpc is guaranteed
> "in
> time". Again unless the client is broken, we can't have more than an
> interrupted rpc (that has nothing waiting) and the next rpc (both of
> which will be re-transmitted if connection is dropped) going to the
> server.
>
> Can we distinguish between interrupted due to re-transmission and
> interrupted due to ctrl-c of the thread? If we can't, then I'll stop
> arguing that client can do better.

There is no "interrupted due to re-transmission" case. We only
retransmit NFSv4 requests if the TCP connection breaks.

As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is only about interruptions
that cause the RPC call to be abandoned (i.e. fatal timeouts and
signals).

> But right now we are left in a bad state. Client leaves opened state
> on the server and will not allow for files to be deleted. I think in
> case the "next rpc" is the write that will never be completed it
> would
> leave the machine in a hung state. I just don't see how can you
> justify that having the current code is any better than having the
> solution that was there before.

That's a general problem with allowing interruptions that is largely
orthogonal to the question of which strategy we choose when
resynchronising the slot numbers after an interruption has occurred.

--

@ 2020-01-13 21:05           ` Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2020-01-13 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:24 PM Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> [...]
> retransmit NFSv4 requests if the TCP connection breaks.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is only about interruptions
> that cause the RPC call to be abandoned (i.e. fatal timeouts and
> signals).
>
> > But right now we are left in a bad state. Client leaves opened state
> > on the server and will not allow for files to be deleted. I think in
> > case the "next rpc" is the write that will never be completed it
> > would
> > leave the machine in a hung state. I just don't see how can you
> > justify that having the current code is any better than having the
> > solution that was there before.
>
> That's a general problem with allowing interruptions that is largely
> orthogonal to the question of which strategy we choose when
> resynchronising the slot numbers after an interruption has occurred.

I'm re-reading the spec and in section 2.10.6.2 we have "A requester
MUST wait for a reply to a request before using the slot for another
request". Are we even legally using the slot when we have an
interrupted slot?

@ 2020-01-13 21:51             ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2020-01-13 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aglo; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 16:05 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> [...]
> > > on the server and will not allow for files to be deleted. I think
> > > in
> > > case the "next rpc" is the write that will never be completed it
> > > would
> > > leave the machine in a hung state. I just don't see how can you
> > > justify that having the current code is any better than having
> > > the
> > > solution that was there before.
> >
> > That's a general problem with allowing interruptions that is
> > largely
> > orthogonal to the question of which strategy we choose when
> > resynchronising the slot numbers after an interruption has
> > occurred.
> >

> I'm re-reading the spec and in section 2.10.6.2 we have "A requester
> MUST wait for a reply to a request before using the slot for another
> request". Are we even legally using the slot when we have an

You can certainly argue that. However the fact that the spec fails to
address the issue doesn't imply lack of need. I have workloads on my
own systems that would cause major disruption if I did not allow them
to time out when the server is unavailable (e.g. with memory filling up
with dirty pages that can't be cleaned).

IOW: I'm quite happy to make a best effort attempt to meet that
requirement, by making 'hard' mounts the default, and by making
signalling be a fatal operation. However I'm unwilling to make it
impossible to fix up my system when the server is unresponsive just
because the protocol is lazy about providing for that ability.

--

@ 2020-01-14 18:43               ` Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2020-01-14 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:51 PM Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 16:05 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:24 PM Trond Myklebust <
> > trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> > > If you use 'soft' or 'softerr' mount options, then NFSv4.1 will
> > > time
> > > out when the server is being unresponsive. That behaviour is
> > > different
> > > to the behaviour under a signal, but has the same effect of
> > > interrupting the RPC call without us being able to know if the
> > > server
> > > received the data.

> > > I'm not talking about retransmissions here. I'm talking only about
> > > NFSv4.x RPC calls that suffer a fatal interruption (i.e. no
> > > retransmission).

> > > There is no "interrupted due to re-transmission" case. We only
> > > retransmit NFSv4 requests if the TCP connection breaks.
> > >
> > > As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is only about
> > > interruptions
> > > that cause the RPC call to be abandoned (i.e. fatal timeouts and
> > > signals).

> > > That's a general problem with allowing interruptions that is
> > > largely
> > > orthogonal to the question of which strategy we choose when
> > > resynchronising the slot numbers after an interruption has
> > > occurred.
> > >

> > I'm re-reading the spec and in section 2.10.6.2 we have "A requester
> > MUST wait for a reply to a request before using the slot for another
> > request". Are we even legally using the slot when we have an
> > interrupted slot?
> >

> You can certainly argue that. However the fact that the spec fails to
> address the issue doesn't imply lack of need. I have workloads on my
> own systems that would cause major disruption if I did not allow them
> to time out when the server is unavailable (e.g. with memory filling up
> with dirty pages that can't be cleaned).
>
> IOW: I'm quite happy to make a best effort attempt to meet that
> requirement, by making 'hard' mounts the default, and by making
> signalling be a fatal operation. However I'm unwilling to make it
> impossible to fix up my system when the server is unresponsive just
> because the protocol is lazy about providing for that ability.

I'm just trying to think of options.

Here's what's bothering me. Yes my server list is limited but neither
Linux not Netapp servers implements argument caching for replay cache
due to performance hit. Yes perhaps they should but the problem is
they currently don't and customer probably deserve the best solution
given existing constraints. Do we have such a solution? Can you argue
that the number of problems solved by the current solution is higher
than by the other solution. With the current solution, we have
(silent) data corruption and resource leakage on the server. I think
that's a pretty big problem. What's worse silent data corruption or a
hung client because it keeps sending same ops and keeps getting
SEQ_MISORDERED (that's a rather big problem too but work arounds exist
to prevent data corruption/loss. like forcing the client to
re-negotiate the session).

Until servers catch up with addressing false retries, what's the best
solution the client can have.

Silent data corruption is in pnfs because the writes are allowed to
leave interrupted slot due to a timeout. Alternatively, I propose to
then make pnfs writes same as the normal writes. It will remove the
data corruption problem. It would still have resource leakage but that
seems like a bit better than data corruption.

@ 2020-01-14 20:52                 ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2020-01-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aglo; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 13:43 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:51 PM Trond Myklebust <
> trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 16:05 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:

> > > I'm re-reading the spec and in section 2.10.6.2 we have "A
> > > requester
> > > MUST wait for a reply to a request before using the slot for
> > > another
> > > request". Are we even legally using the slot when we have an
> > > interrupted slot?
> > >

> > You can certainly argue that. However the fact that the spec fails
> > address the issue doesn't imply lack of need. I have workloads on
> > my
> > own systems that would cause major disruption if I did not allow
> > them
> > to time out when the server is unavailable (e.g. with memory
> > filling up
> > with dirty pages that can't be cleaned).
> >
> > IOW: I'm quite happy to make a best effort attempt to meet that
> > requirement, by making 'hard' mounts the default, and by making
> > signalling be a fatal operation. However I'm unwilling to make it
> > impossible to fix up my system when the server is unresponsive just
> > because the protocol is lazy about providing for that ability.
>
> I'm just trying to think of options.
>
> Here's what's bothering me. Yes my server list is limited but neither
> Linux not Netapp servers implements argument caching for replay cache
> due to performance hit. Yes perhaps they should but the problem is
> they currently don't and customer probably deserve the best solution
> given existing constraints. Do we have such a solution? Can you argue
> that the number of problems solved by the current solution is higher
> than by the other solution. With the current solution, we have
> (silent) data corruption and resource leakage on the server. I think
> that's a pretty big problem. What's worse silent data corruption or a
> hung client because it keeps sending same ops and keeps getting
> SEQ_MISORDERED (that's a rather big problem too but work arounds
> exist
> to prevent data corruption/loss. like forcing the client to
> re-negotiate the session).
>
> Until servers catch up with addressing false retries, what's the best
> solution the client can have.

If I knew of a better client side solution, I would already have
implemented it.

> Silent data corruption is in pnfs because the writes are allowed to
> leave interrupted slot due to a timeout. Alternatively, I propose to
> then make pnfs writes same as the normal writes. It will remove the
> data corruption problem. It would still have resource leakage but
> that
> seems like a bit better than data corruption.

How often does this problem actually occur in the field?

The point is that if the interruption is due to a signal, then that is
a signal that is fatal to the application. That's not silent
corruption; writes are expected not to complete in that kind of
situation.

If the interruption is due to a soft mount timing out, then it is
because the user deliberately chose that non-default setting, and
should be aware of the consequences.
Note that in newer kernels, these soft timeouts do not trigger unless
the network connection is also down, so there is already a recovery
process required to re-establish the network connection before any
further requests can be sent.
Furthermore, the application should also be seeing a POSIX error when
fsync() is called, so again, there should be no silent corruption.

--

@ 2020-01-14 22:17                   ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2020-01-14 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aglo; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 15:52 -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> [...]
>
> How often does this problem actually occur in the field?
>
> The point is that if the interruption is due to a signal, then that
> is
> a signal that is fatal to the application. That's not silent
> corruption; writes are expected not to complete in that kind of
> situation.
>
> If the interruption is due to a soft mount timing out, then it is
> because the user deliberately chose that non-default setting, and
> should be aware of the consequences.
> Note that in newer kernels, these soft timeouts do not trigger unless
> the network connection is also down, so there is already a recovery
> process required to re-establish the network connection before any
> further requests can be sent.
> Furthermore, the application should also be seeing a POSIX error when
> fsync() is called, so again, there should be no silent corruption.

Actually, come to think of it, the easiest way to deal with writes is
probably just to turn off the sa_cachethis in the SEQUENCE operation so
that any attempt to replay gets a NFS4ERR_RETRY_UNCACHED_REP.

--

@ 2020-01-14 23:37                   ` Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2020-01-14 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 3:52 PM Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 13:43 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:51 PM Trond Myklebust <
> > trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> > > You can certainly argue that. However the fact that the spec fails
> > > address the issue doesn't imply lack of need. I have workloads on
> > > my
> > > own systems that would cause major disruption if I did not allow
> > > them
> > > to time out when the server is unavailable (e.g. with memory
> > > filling up
> > > with dirty pages that can't be cleaned).
> > >
> > > IOW: I'm quite happy to make a best effort attempt to meet that
> > > requirement, by making 'hard' mounts the default, and by making
> > > signalling be a fatal operation. However I'm unwilling to make it
> > > impossible to fix up my system when the server is unresponsive just
> > > because the protocol is lazy about providing for that ability.
> >
> > I'm just trying to think of options.
> >
> > Here's what's bothering me. Yes my server list is limited but neither
> > Linux not Netapp servers implements argument caching for replay cache
> > due to performance hit. Yes perhaps they should but the problem is
> > they currently don't and customer probably deserve the best solution
> > given existing constraints. Do we have such a solution? Can you argue
> > that the number of problems solved by the current solution is higher
> > than by the other solution. With the current solution, we have
> > (silent) data corruption and resource leakage on the server. I think
> > that's a pretty big problem. What's worse silent data corruption or a
> > hung client because it keeps sending same ops and keeps getting
> > SEQ_MISORDERED (that's a rather big problem too but work arounds
> > exist
> > to prevent data corruption/loss. like forcing the client to
> > re-negotiate the session).
> >
> > Until servers catch up with addressing false retries, what's the best
> > solution the client can have.
>
> If I knew of a better client side solution, I would already have
> implemented it.
>
> > Silent data corruption is in pnfs because the writes are allowed to
> > leave interrupted slot due to a timeout. Alternatively, I propose to
> > then make pnfs writes same as the normal writes. It will remove the
> > data corruption problem. It would still have resource leakage but
> > that
> > seems like a bit better than data corruption.
>
> How often does this problem actually occur in the field?
>
> The point is that if the interruption is due to a signal, then that is
> a signal that is fatal to the application. That's not silent
> corruption; writes are expected not to complete in that kind of
> situation.

Interruption is because the server isn't replying in time to a pnfs
write. I believe we have a timeout of 10secs (or whatever that value
is) after which this write is sent to the MDS. But the slot to the DS
is left as interrupted (or at least it used to be that).

Here's what needs to happen for the problem to occur. I don't know the
likelihood it can occur.

1. 1st DS write say gets stuck in the network for longer than the NFS
client waits for.
2. Client interrupts the slot and re-sends to the MDS
3. Another write to the DS is issued re-using the slot (seqid bumped)
and this write gets to the server before the write in step1. Server
replies with ERR_SEQ_MISORDERED.
4. Server processes the 1st write
5. client retires the write from step# with decremented sequin. Gets a
reply saying write was completed. But in reality this write never
writes the data. Thus silent data corruption.

@ 2020-01-15  1:34                     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2020-01-15  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aglo; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 18:37 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 3:52 PM Trond Myklebust <
> trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 13:43 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:

> > > I'm just trying to think of options.
> > >
> > > Here's what's bothering me. Yes my server list is limited but
> > > neither
> > > Linux not Netapp servers implements argument caching for replay
> > > cache
> > > due to performance hit. Yes perhaps they should but the problem
> > > is
> > > they currently don't and customer probably deserve the best
> > > solution
> > > given existing constraints. Do we have such a solution? Can you
> > > argue
> > > that the number of problems solved by the current solution is
> > > higher
> > > than by the other solution. With the current solution, we have
> > > (silent) data corruption and resource leakage on the server. I
> > > think
> > > that's a pretty big problem. What's worse silent data corruption
> > > or a
> > > hung client because it keeps sending same ops and keeps getting
> > > SEQ_MISORDERED (that's a rather big problem too but work arounds
> > > exist
> > > to prevent data corruption/loss. like forcing the client to
> > > re-negotiate the session).
> > >
> > > Until servers catch up with addressing false retries, what's the
> > > best
> > > solution the client can have.
> >
> > If I knew of a better client side solution, I would already have
> > implemented it.
> >
> > > Silent data corruption is in pnfs because the writes are allowed
> > > leave interrupted slot due to a timeout. Alternatively, I propose
> > > then make pnfs writes same as the normal writes. It will remove
> > > the
> > > data corruption problem. It would still have resource leakage but
> > > that
> > > seems like a bit better than data corruption.
> >
> > How often does this problem actually occur in the field?
> >
> > The point is that if the interruption is due to a signal, then that
> > is
> > a signal that is fatal to the application. That's not silent
> > corruption; writes are expected not to complete in that kind of
> > situation.
>
> Interruption is because the server isn't replying in time to a pnfs
> write. I believe we have a timeout of 10secs (or whatever that value
> is) after which this write is sent to the MDS. But the slot to the DS
> is left as interrupted (or at least it used to be that).
>
> Here's what needs to happen for the problem to occur. I don't know
> the
> likelihood it can occur.
>
> 1. 1st DS write say gets stuck in the network for longer than the NFS
> client waits for.
> 2. Client interrupts the slot and re-sends to the MDS

That's not what I expect from an upstream 5.5-rcX client. The following
lines in rpc_check_timeout() should ensure the client does not
interrupt unless the network is disconnected:

                /*
                 * Once a "no retrans timeout" soft tasks (a.k.a NFSv4)
has
                 * been sent, it should time out only if the transport
                 * connection gets terminally broken.
                 */
                if ((task->tk_flags & RPC_TASK_NO_RETRANS_TIMEOUT) &&
                    rpc_check_connected(task->tk_rqstp))
                        return;

> 3. Another write to the DS is issued re-using the slot (seqid bumped)
> and this write gets to the server before the write in step1. Server
> replies with ERR_SEQ_MISORDERED.
> 4. Server processes the 1st write
> 5. client retires the write from step# with decremented sequin. Gets
> reply saying write was completed. But in reality this write never
> writes the data. Thus silent data corruption.

So try the following change: change the nfs4_init_sequence() line in
nfs4_proc_write_setup() so that it reads

nfs4_init_sequence(&hdr->args.seq_args, &hdr->res.seq_res, 0, 0);

There really is no good reason for us to be caching write replies when
we know the client is already ordering NFS writes to the same range.

> > If the interruption is due to a soft mount timing out, then it is
> > because the user deliberately chose that non-default setting, and
> > should be aware of the consequences.
> > Note that in newer kernels, these soft timeouts do not trigger
> > unless
> > the network connection is also down, so there is already a recovery
> > process required to re-establish the network connection before any
> > further requests can be sent.
> > Furthermore, the application should also be seeing a POSIX error
> > when
> > fsync() is called, so again, there should be no silent corruption.
> >
> > --
> > Trond Myklebust
> > Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace
> > trond.myklebust@hammerspace.com

--
Trond Myklebust
CTO, Hammerspace Inc
4300 El Camino Real, Suite 105
Los Altos, CA 94022
www.hammer.space

* Re: interrupted rpcs problem
@ 2020-02-12 20:09               ` Olga Kornievskaia
From: Olga Kornievskaia @ 2020-02-12 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-nfs

Hi Trond,

I'm back to this an would like a clarification on your comment.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:51 PM Trond Myklebust <trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-01-13 at 16:05 -0500, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:24 PM Trond Myklebust <
> > trondmy@hammerspace.com> wrote:

> > > If you use 'soft' or 'softerr' mount options, then NFSv4.1 will
> > > time
> > > out when the server is being unresponsive. That behaviour is
> > > different
> > > to the behaviour under a signal, but has the same effect of
> > > interrupting the RPC call without us being able to know if the
> > > server
> > > received the data.

> > > I'm not talking about retransmissions here. I'm talking only about
> > > NFSv4.x RPC calls that suffer a fatal interruption (i.e. no
> > > retransmission).

> > > There is no "interrupted due to re-transmission" case. We only
> > > retransmit NFSv4 requests if the TCP connection breaks.
> > >
> > > As far as I'm concerned, this discussion is only about
> > > interruptions
> > > that cause the RPC call to be abandoned (i.e. fatal timeouts and
> > > signals).

> > > That's a general problem with allowing interruptions that is
> > > largely
> > > orthogonal to the question of which strategy we choose when
> > > resynchronising the slot numbers after an interruption has
> > > occurred.
> > >

> > I'm re-reading the spec and in section 2.10.6.2 we have "A requester
> > MUST wait for a reply to a request before using the slot for another
> > request". Are we even legally using the slot when we have an
> > interrupted slot?
> >

> You can certainly argue that. However the fact that the spec fails to
> address the issue doesn't imply lack of need. I have workloads on my
> own systems that would cause major disruption if I did not allow them
> to time out when the server is unavailable (e.g. with memory filling up
> with dirty pages that can't be cleaned).
>
> IOW: I'm quite happy to make a best effort attempt to meet that
> requirement, by making 'hard' mounts the default, and by making
> signalling be a fatal operation. However I'm unwilling to make it
> impossible to fix up my system when the server is unresponsive just
> because the protocol is lazy about providing for that ability.

When you say: "I'm quite happy to make a best effort attempt to meet
that requirement, by making 'hard' mounts the default, and by making
signalling be a fatal operation".  Do you mean that if somebody is
doing a default hard mount, then you are OK with making the code to
always wait for the response instead of leaving it interrupted?
Somehow I think I'm still misreading what you wrote there.

Thanks.