From: email2akashjain@gmail.com (Akash)
To: kernelnewbies@lists.kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Debugging the linux kernel core dump
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:06:34 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi...
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:23, Akash <email2akashjain@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think it was not built with -g otherwise the symbols would have been
> there
> > in the vmlinux itself, right ?
> > That is the reason I need to add symbols externally.
> > Please dont ask me to rebuild the kernel, this is vanilla OpenSUSE 11.3
> > symbols and debug kernel should be available somewhere. I just need to
> know
> > how/where to add the symbols. The problem is not reproducible, I need to
> > debug the core which I have on hand.
>
> try to check opensuse repo, see which one provide kinda "debuginfo"
> package for your kernel (at least that's how Fedora/RHEL call it).
> Usually it will be located under /boot with quite obvious name
> (suffixed with "debug" or similar) or you could just try to use
> vmlinux as the symbol file
>
> NB: make sure you use the very same debuginfo package with your
> current kernel version. Any slight difference could yield very
> different symbol addresses.

Thanks Malyudi. Thats sounds like a reasonable approach. I did try to search
kernel-debug RPMs for my kernel could not find any. May be I should just
keep looking.

On that note, I wonder what is the difference between kernel-base,
kernel-default, kernel-devel, and similar other RPMs. I guess some contain
binaries, some contain unstripped binaries and some contain soruces/headers.
But which is which ?? I hate distros for creating so many RPMs. They could
have included ALL of this in one RPM and users would not have minded.

->Akash