* Reset controller on the Amlogic SoC board.
@ 2020-07-23 10:49 ` Anand Moon
From: Anand Moon @ 2020-07-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Armstrong, Jerome Brunet, Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman,
	linux-amlogic, linux-arm-kernel, Rob Herring

Hi Neil / Martin / Jerome / Kevin.

I am a bit investigating the reset controller for the Amlogic SoC board.
Each of thes reset controllers have different reset IP features.
So we should map the reset controller to appropriate IP nodes
in the DTS to make this work.

Following are the reset controller reg ip blocks as per the Datasheet
Datasheet :- S805_Datasheet V0.8 20150126
Datasheet :- S905X_Datasheet V0.3 20170314publicversion-Wesion
On GXBB / GLX
RESET_REGISTER   ----> 0xc11004404
RESET1_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004408
RESET2_REGISTER ----> 0xc1100440c
RESET3_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004410
RESET4_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004414
RESET5_REGISTER ----> 0xc1100441c
RESET6_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004420

DataSheet - S922X_Public_Datasheet_V0.2-Hardkernel.pdf
G12B / S905X3
RESET0_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01004
RESET1_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01008
RESET2_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD0100C
RESET3_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01010
RESET4_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01014
RESET5_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD0101c
RESET7_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01020

Each of the reset controllers have some different bit fields,
For that we need to have reset binding macros accordingly.

Please share your thoughts and If you have some inputs or
another approach please let me know.
I just want your feedback before preparing
and submitting some patches.

Sorry my English is a bit poor to express hope you
will understand what changes I am proposing.

-Anand

From: Anand Moon @ 2020-07-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Armstrong, Jerome Brunet, Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman,
[...]

* Re: Reset controller on the Amlogic SoC board.
@ 2020-07-23 13:05   ` Neil Armstrong
From: Neil Armstrong @ 2020-07-23 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Moon, Jerome Brunet, Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman,
	linux-amlogic, linux-arm-kernel, Rob Herring

Hi Anand,

On 23/07/2020 12:49, Anand Moon wrote:
> Hi Neil / Martin / Jerome / Kevin.
>
> I am a bit investigating the reset controller for the Amlogic SoC board.
> Each of thes reset controllers have different reset IP features.
> So we should map the reset controller to appropriate IP nodes
> in the DTS to make this work.

Correct support is already done for Meson8/8b/GXL/GXBB/G12A/A1.

Can you specify which features are missing ?

> Following are the reset controller reg ip blocks as per the Datasheet
> Datasheet :- S805_Datasheet V0.8 20150126
> Datasheet :- S905X_Datasheet V0.3 20170314publicversion-Wesion
> On GXBB / GLX
> RESET_REGISTER   ----> 0xc11004404
> RESET1_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004408
> RESET2_REGISTER ----> 0xc1100440c
> RESET3_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004410
> RESET4_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004414
> RESET5_REGISTER ----> 0xc1100441c
> RESET6_REGISTER ----> 0xc11004420
>
> DataSheet - S922X_Public_Datasheet_V0.2-Hardkernel.pdf
> G12B / S905X3
> RESET0_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01004
> RESET1_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01008
> RESET2_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD0100C
> RESET3_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01010
> RESET4_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01014
> RESET5_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD0101c
> RESET7_REGISTER ---> 0xFFD01020
>
> Each of the reset controllers have some different bit fields,
> For that we need to have reset binding macros accordingly.

It's a documentation issue, the register layout is the same from Meson8
to G12A.

Neil

From: Neil Armstrong @ 2020-07-23 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Moon, Jerome Brunet, Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman,

@ 2020-07-23 15:14     ` Anand Moon
From: Anand Moon @ 2020-07-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Armstrong
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman, Rob Herring, linux-amlogic,
	linux-arm-kernel, Jerome Brunet

Hi Neil,

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 18:36, Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:

> Hi Anand,
>
> On 23/07/2020 12:49, Anand Moon wrote:
> > Hi Neil / Martin / Jerome / Kevin.
> >
> > I am a bit investigating the reset controller for the Amlogic SoC board.
> > Each of thes reset controllers have different reset IP features.
> > So we should map the reset controller to appropriate IP nodes
> > in the DTS to make this work.
>
> Correct support is already done for Meson8/8b/GXL/GXBB/G12A/A1.
>
> Can you specify which features are missing ?

Yes, the reset controller is working fine.
Currently we have only one reset controller _reset-controller@1004_

But what observation is that we could have different reset controller
reset-controller@1004
|--22  Sys_cpu_capb3
|--21  Dos_capb3
|--20  Mali_capb3
|--19  Hdmitx_capb3
|--18  Nand_capb3
|--17  Capb3_decode
|--16  Gic

reset-controller@1008
|--14   Sd_emmc_c
|--13   Sd_emmc_b
|--12   Sd_emmc_a
|--11   Ethernet
|--02  USB_OTG

reset-controllet@4410
|--8  Audio DAC
|--6  AHB BRIDGE CNTL
|--5  tvfe
|--4  AIFIFO
|--3  Sys_cpu_bvci
|--2  EFUSE
|--1  SYS CPU
|--0  Ring oscillator

reset-controller@4414
|--15  I2C_Master 1
|--14  I2C_Master 2
|--33  VENCL
|--12  VDI6
|--10  RTC
|--9   VDAC

This is what I would like to make it work.

-Anand

From: Anand Moon @ 2020-07-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Armstrong
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman, Rob Herring, linux-amlogic,

@ 2020-07-23 15:42       ` Neil Armstrong
From: Neil Armstrong @ 2020-07-23 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Moon
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman, Rob Herring, linux-amlogic,

On 23/07/2020 17:14, Anand Moon wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 18:36, Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Anand,
>>
>> On 23/07/2020 12:49, Anand Moon wrote:
>>> Hi Neil / Martin / Jerome / Kevin.
>>>
>>> I am a bit investigating the reset controller for the Amlogic SoC board.
>>> Each of thes reset controllers have different reset IP features.
>>> So we should map the reset controller to appropriate IP nodes
>>> in the DTS to make this work.
>>
>> Correct support is already done for Meson8/8b/GXL/GXBB/G12A/A1.
>>
>> Can you specify which features are missing ?
>
> Yes, the reset controller is working fine.
> Currently we have only one reset controller _reset-controller@1004_
>
> But what observation is that we could have different reset controller

Sorry I don't see any good reasons for that, it's a single reset controller
with multiple lines split over 8 registers.

You are free to do the work and submit the changes, but it will break the current
bindings and offer no changes or new features over the actual design.

Neil

From: Neil Armstrong @ 2020-07-23 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Moon
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman, Rob Herring, linux-amlogic,

@ 2020-07-23 16:39         ` Anand Moon
From: Anand Moon @ 2020-07-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Armstrong
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman, Rob Herring, linux-amlogic,

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 21:12, Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 23/07/2020 17:14, Anand Moon wrote:
> > Hi Neil,
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 18:36, Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Anand,

> >> Correct support is already done for Meson8/8b/GXL/GXBB/G12A/A1.
> >>
> >> Can you specify which features are missing ?
> >
> > Yes, the reset controller is working fine.
> > Currently we have only one reset controller _reset-controller@1004_
> >
> > But what observation is that we could have different reset controller
>
> Sorry I don't see any good reasons for that, it's a single reset controller
> with multiple lines split over 8 registers.
>
> You are free to do the work and submit the changes, but it will break the current
> bindings and offer no changes or new features over the actual design.
>
> Neil

Thank you for your comments.
Ok I got your point.

From: Anand Moon @ 2020-07-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Armstrong
  Cc: Martin Blumenstingl, Kevin Hilman, Rob Herring, linux-amlogic,
	linux-arm-kernel, Jerome Brunet

Hi Neil,

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 21:12, Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 23/07/2020 17:14, Anand Moon wrote:
> > Hi Neil,
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 18:36, Neil Armstrong <narmstrong@baylibre.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Anand,

> >> Correct support is already done for Meson8/8b/GXL/GXBB/G12A/A1.
> >>
> >> Can you specify which features are missing ?
> >
> > Yes, the reset controller is working fine.
> > Currently we have only one reset controller _reset-controller@1004_
> >
> > But what observation is that we could have different reset controller
>
> Sorry I don't see any good reasons for that, it's a single reset controller
> with multiple lines split over 8 registers.
>
> You are free to do the work and submit the changes, but it will break the current
> bindings and offer no changes or new features over the actual design.
>
> Neil

Thank you for your comments.
Ok I got your point.

-Anand