On Fri, Sep 17, 2021, 12:39 PM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote: > On 9/17/21 6:04 PM, Warner Losh wrote:> wrt FreeBSD: > > > > The main focus of the project is on AMD64 (x86_64) and ARM64 (aarc64). > With > > ricsv64 being ascendant as well. i386 and armv7 are fading. ppc64 has > > strong, > > but episodic, interest as well. The rest are bit players. > > > > i386 (i686 really), armv7 and riscv7 are the next tier of interest in > > FreeBSD > > land. i386 is confined to 32-bit VMs with only a few legacy hardware > > deployments > > still kicking. armv7 is more popular on embedded boards, some of which > have > > a need to run qemu. > > What part of QEMU is used there, user-emulation (likely IMO) or > system-emulation (unlikely) or both? > System emulation is typical. User emulation of x86 is the only interesting thing, but that is less complete than other arch. > riscv64 has a rust port that's being upstreamed, but not > > there yet and there's likely interest to run qemu on it for research > > projects. > > riscv64 isn't widely deployed but has a lot of developer interest / > > mindshare. > > sparc64 was removed from FreeBSD 13 and has been irrelevant for years. > > ppc 32 bit has some minor interest. mips has been fading fast and stands > > an excellent chance of being removed before FreeBSD 14 (which is > currently > > slated for 2022). PowerPC 64 is hard to talk about... there's interest > > that comes > > and goes, but when it's around, it's quite intense. It's quite likely > > there will > > be interest to run qemu on ppc64 on FreeBSD, but that's much less > certain. > > > > So it all depends on what having rust means for those platforms that > > don't have > > it. Would it be a 'half a loaf' situation where the non-rust bits would > > be buildable > > but cool new drivers written in rust won't be? Or will it be so central > > that rust is > > table stakes to even start a qemu build? To be honest, I'm not sure this > > difference > > would greatly affect the above answer :). > > > > Rust works really well on x86_64 and aarch64 (though there's more often > > a lag > > on the latter of a few weeks). I know of a rust riscv64 port, but that's > > just getting > > ready to upstream. No first-hand or second-hand clue on the rest. > > > > FreeBSD tl;dr: x86_64 and aarch64 are must have. i386, armv7 and riscv64 > are > > really nice to have. ppc64 might also be in that list, but that's less > > certain. The rest > > have little to no relevance. > > Thanks for gathering this useful info! > You are welcome. Warner > P.S I've been poking at people to get our QEMU aarch64 CI story in better > > shape than it is today... I'll have to continue to prompt those > > interested... > > >