From: George Liu <liuxiwei1013@gmail.com>
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>,
	Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com>
Cc: Devender Rao <devenrao@in.ibm.com>
Subject: Question regarding phosphor-dbus-monitor repo
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 15:24:09 +0800	[thread overview]

Hey everyone:

I am learning phosphor-dbus-monitor recently, It is used to monitor
the attribute value or objectPath of D-Bus, and then execute the
corresponding callback method, and the premise is that needs to
configure in the YAML file.

The current default configuration has the realization of `OCC` and
`snmp`, and I have also seen the realization of other functions in the
ibm openbmc repo(eg: Fan, PowerSupply, etc).

I have the following doubts:
1. Today the architecture of openBmc is gradually discarding YAML
files right (because I think it requires templates and py paarsing to
support).
2. I think we can migrate the functions of this repo to the
corresponding repo (eg: the configuration of OCC can be migrated to
openpower-occ-control, and the configuration of snmp can be migrated
to phosphor-snmp).
3. Adapting to these YAML is a complicated process, and I suspect that
the original design idea was to aggregate all D-Bus monitoring into
this repo, but it does not currently achieve this goal (maybe my
understanding is wrong).
4. At present, most repos use D-Bus to monitor certain attributes,
objectPaths, etc, but they have not done YAML file adaptation in this
repo, but implemented in their respective repos (eg: PLDM,
phosphor-led-manager).

So, my thoughts is: If we transplant `OCC` & `snmp` and other
functions to their respective repos one day in the future, can this
repo be discarded?
Sorry, I am not sure if the maintainer has other plans, or there are
other advantages to using this repo? Maybe I missed something.

Looking forward to your reply :)

Thx - George Liu