No worries Andrew, it was my first patch, thank you for the response. It's based on Xen 4.8 Dom0 should be controlling it, but I wasn't aware of the Security implications. The scope isn't well documented: https://ressman.org/posts/2018-06-26-voltage-temperature-tdp-thinkpad/ More experimental as it worked with my Laptop. Thank you for your time On Thu, Apr 18, 2019, 10:09 AM Andrew Cooper wrote: > On 18/04/2019 09:56, Dylanger Daly wrote: > > Giving Laptop Users the ability to Undervolt and change Temp Throttle > Limits. > > > > Signed-off-by: Dylanger Daly > > Thankyou for the patch. Which version of Xen is it against? It is > fairly old, given that the function you patch has now moved to > arch/x86/pv/emul-priv-op.c. Furthermore, this is the legacy path, so > the functions this should be added to are guest_{rdmsr,wrmsr}() in > arch/x86/msr.c > > What entity is controlling this? > > Sadly, there are a number of issues. You open these MSRs up to > unprivileged domUs, and there is a mismatch between the vcpus/pcpus. > > What is the scope of these MSRs? I guess dom0 is going to write them on > all cores, but as dom0 gets scheduled around, this wont match up with > the pcpus across the host. > > ~Andrew >