On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 21:32, Jasper Orschulko < Jasper.Orschulko@iris-sensing.com> wrote: > So yeah... as far as I can tell, there are multiple ways to approach > this issue, but none of them seem straight forward nor pretty. Bitbake > as it is is just fundamentally not good at handling highly dynamic > configurations. The combination with KAS somewhat defuses the > situation, but there are still some situations where there is no easy > answer. > Yes, yocto does not support 'variations' of the build that is already set up. Once you set the distro, and the machine, there's only one way to build a recipe; if you want another way, you need to indeed make another recipe, or another distro. I would still say making a set of distros is still the proper 'yocto way' to solve your problem. There are examples in meta-poky: poky-altcfg and poky-tiny, and there has been poky-bleeding-revisions or similar in the past. This is a reoccurring topic; there have been proposal in the past to introduce 'variants' as yet another abstraction, but they add so much complexity on top of what is already very complex, that the tradeoff is not acceptable to the project. Alex