On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 16:24, Jasper Orschulko < Jasper.Orschulko@iris-sensing.com> wrote: > > In our case some binary which is made up from some 50ish separately > versioned sub-components. We used to have separate recipes for each of > this components and static link them using DEPENDS. However, this does > not scale well. E.g. if you want to create another version with > different cmake flags, you would have to create copies of all 50ish > recipes. You could move all the components into a single recipe and do > 50x git fetcher, but keeping this versioned is still painful. > Especially since the developers mainly don't use yocto but use the SDK > for cross-compiling. As such this used to mean, that versioning in the > development workflow and the release workflow worked differently -> > more maintenance work. > > With repo fetcher we can streamline the versioning within the yocto > build process and the daily developer workflow, as both can fetch the > repo manifest from a central stored git repo. The idea is, that the > repo manifest defaults to develop branch for all component repos and if > we want to create a release we can use repos own tooling to > automatically create fixed refspecs from the development manifest. > something like `repo manifest -r -o release-1.0.0.xml`, push that as a > release to the manifest repo, set this release as refspec in the recipe > within the meta layer and proceed with the release process. So no more > manually maintaining the component versioning within the yocto recipes. > I see. I don't particularly endorse that you invented a custom, proprietary workflow that you have to support entirely by yourselves - instead of finding ways to do what you need with standard yocto tooling, improving the tooling where/if necessary. But if that works out ok for you, then fine :) Alex