From: Emmanuel Grumbach <egrumbach@gmail.com>
To: "Toralf Förster" <toralf.foerster@gmx.de>
Cc: linux-wireless <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: iwlwifi: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting 0x2000000.
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 22:07:24 +0300	[thread overview]

Emmanuel Grumbach
egrumbach@gmail.com

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 07/14/2015 08:43 AM, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
>> You are not using the latest firmware. Please upgrade to 25.17.12.0.
>
> At least with this firmware the issue is self-healing after a short while - I do not need to restart the interface.

Thanks for the feedback.

> FWIW it worked flawlessly since Dec last year so far - no software upgrade at the fritz box nor any hardware change.
> So the current kernel uncovered then an (existing hidden ?) issue, right ?

The current kernel might just be loading a newer firmware that has a regression.
It may very well be a regression in iwlwifi (kernel or firmware).
What you can try is to use an older firmware. kernel 4.0 can still
load -9.ucode and up. So you can just try to downgrade the firmware.
Please use: ethtool -i wlan0 to check the version of the firmware.
Don't rely on the information in modinfo.