* suggestion for a reasonable value for /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/debug
@ 2012-01-07 10:27 Toralf Förster
From: Toralf Förster @ 2012-01-07 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

If I choosed 0x43ff my syslog message files exploded - and I'd like to trouble
shoot a problem with my wlan at a ThinkPad T400 (iwlwifi, 5100 AGN controler).
The symptoms are that 1-2 times in a hour the network stops working without
any message in /var/log/messages (kernel 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.0 tested).

Thanks for any advice
--
MfG/Sincerely
Toralf Förster

* Re: suggestion for a reasonable value for /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/debug
@ 2012-01-07 20:55 ` Emmanuel Grumbach
From: Emmanuel Grumbach @ 2012-01-07 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toralf Förster; +Cc: linux-wireless

> If I choosed 0x43ff my syslog message files exploded - and I'd like to trouble
> shoot a problem with my wlan at a ThinkPad T400 (iwlwifi, 5100 AGN controler).
> The symptoms are that 1-2 times in a hour the network stops working without
> any message in /var/log/messages (kernel 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.0 tested).
>
> Thanks for any advice
> --

For this kind of issues I added the TX_QUEUES debug flags, but I just
checked and it is not in 3.2. It is in John's wireless tree though. It
is bit 31: debug=0x80000000

BTW - John, I have tried many times to understand all this, but stupid
me, couldn't ever make it. How come a patch is in wireless which in my
understanding (probably wrong) is supposed to feed the current rc
cycle (meaning the 3.2-rcX which just ended) and not be in 3.2 stable
release ? Sorry for the ignorance...

thanks

* Re: suggestion for a reasonable value for /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/debug
@ 2012-01-07 21:04   ` Emmanuel Grumbach
From: Emmanuel Grumbach @ 2012-01-07 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toralf Förster; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 22:55, Emmanuel Grumbach <egrumbach@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I choosed 0x43ff my syslog message files exploded - and I'd like to trouble
>> shoot a problem with my wlan at a ThinkPad T400 (iwlwifi, 5100 AGN controler).
>> The symptoms are that 1-2 times in a hour the network stops working without
>> any message in /var/log/messages (kernel 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.0 tested).
>>
>> Thanks for any advice
>> --
>
> For this kind of issues I added the TX_QUEUES debug flags, but I just
> checked and it is not in 3.2. It is in John's wireless tree though. It
> is bit 31: debug=0x80000000
>
> BTW - John, I have tried many times to understand all this, but stupid
> me, couldn't ever make it. How come a patch is in wireless which in my
> understanding (probably wrong) is supposed to feed the current rc
> cycle (meaning the 3.2-rcX which just ended) and not be in 3.2 stable
> release ? Sorry for the ignorance...

Or maybe the wireless tree has already be recreated on top of Linus's
tree (through Dave's tree) after he merged everything ?

* Re: suggestion for a reasonable value for /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/debug
@ 2012-01-07 21:47   ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-01-07 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Grumbach; +Cc: Toralf Förster, linux-wireless

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:55:30PM +0200, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> > If I choosed 0x43ff my syslog message files exploded - and I'd like to trouble
> > shoot a problem with my wlan at a ThinkPad T400 (iwlwifi, 5100 AGN controler).
> > The symptoms are that 1-2 times in a hour the network stops working without
> > any message in /var/log/messages (kernel 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.0 tested).
> >
> > Thanks for any advice
> > --
>
> For this kind of issues I added the TX_QUEUES debug flags, but I just
> checked and it is not in 3.2. It is in John's wireless tree though. It
> is bit 31: debug=0x80000000
>
> BTW - John, I have tried many times to understand all this, but stupid
> me, couldn't ever make it. How come a patch is in wireless which in my
> understanding (probably wrong) is supposed to feed the current rc
> cycle (meaning the 3.2-rcX which just ended) and not be in 3.2 stable
> release ? Sorry for the ignorance...

We are betwen the release and the next -rc1.  Right now everything
in wireless is the stuff that was in wireless-next last week.

Hth!

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

From: John W. Linville @ 2012-01-07 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Grumbach; +Cc: Toralf Förster, linux-wireless

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 11:04:11PM +0200, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 22:55, Emmanuel Grumbach <egrumbach@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If I choosed 0x43ff my syslog message files exploded - and I'd like to trouble
> >> shoot a problem with my wlan at a ThinkPad T400 (iwlwifi, 5100 AGN controler).
> >> The symptoms are that 1-2 times in a hour the network stops working without
> >> any message in /var/log/messages (kernel 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.0 tested).
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advice
> >> --
> >
> > For this kind of issues I added the TX_QUEUES debug flags, but I just
> > checked and it is not in 3.2. It is in John's wireless tree though. It
> > is bit 31: debug=0x80000000
> >
> > BTW - John, I have tried many times to understand all this, but stupid
> > me, couldn't ever make it. How come a patch is in wireless which in my
> > understanding (probably wrong) is supposed to feed the current rc
> > cycle (meaning the 3.2-rcX which just ended) and not be in 3.2 stable
> > release ? Sorry for the ignorance...
> >
> Or maybe the wireless tree has already be recreated on top of Linus's
> tree (through Dave's tree) after he merged everything ?

Right, that. :-)

@ 2012-01-08  6:01     ` Emmanuel Grumbach
From: Emmanuel Grumbach @ 2012-01-08  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: Toralf Förster, linux-wireless

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 23:47, John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:55:30PM +0200, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:
>> > If I choosed 0x43ff my syslog message files exploded - and I'd like to trouble
>> > shoot a problem with my wlan at a ThinkPad T400 (iwlwifi, 5100 AGN controler).
>> > The symptoms are that 1-2 times in a hour the network stops working without
>> > any message in /var/log/messages (kernel 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.0 tested).
>> >
>> > Thanks for any advice
>> > --
>>
>> For this kind of issues I added the TX_QUEUES debug flags, but I just
>> checked and it is not in 3.2. It is in John's wireless tree though. It
>> is bit 31: debug=0x80000000
>>
>> BTW - John, I have tried many times to understand all this, but stupid
>> me, couldn't ever make it. How come a patch is in wireless which in my
>> understanding (probably wrong) is supposed to feed the current rc
>> cycle (meaning the 3.2-rcX which just ended) and not be in 3.2 stable
>> release ? Sorry for the ignorance...
>
> We are betwen the release and the next -rc1.  Right now everything
> in wireless is the stuff that was in wireless-next last week.
>
> Hth!

yup, it does. Thanks

Toralf, back to you. There are quite a few fixes that will be included
in the next stable release (3.3) in about 3 months. I really believe
these fixes can help you. You can also try to disable 11n to see if it
helps. To do so, add 11n_disable as a module parameter.