From: Burn Alting <burn.alting@gmail.com>
To: Kevin.Dienst@usbank.com
Cc: "linux-audit@redhat.com" <linux-audit@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: New draft standards
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:12:54 +1100	[thread overview]

I use a proprietary ELK-like system based on ausearch's -i option. I would
like to see some variant outputs from ausearch that "packages" events into
parse-friendly formats (json, xml) that also incorporates the local
transformations Steve proposes. I believe this would be the most generic
solution to support centralised log management.

I am travelling now, but can write up a specification for review next week.

Burn Alting

On 15 Dec 2015 4:13 am, <Kevin.Dienst@usbank.com> wrote:

> ELK
> Splunk
>
> We use a proprietary vendor product that migrates data into an HDFS store
via RabbitMQ based collectors and dumps them in raw form. From there I have
access to all the usual "big data" tools albeit I'm not using Flume just
yet, we're still trying to get a handle on operationalizing all the various
big data component so that data science developers can focus on development
instead of operations and support of the hardware/software ecosystem.

> Kevin D Dienst
>

> From:        Joe Wulf <joe_wulf@yahoo.com>
> To:        "linux-audit@redhat.com" <linux-audit@redhat.com>
> Date:        12/14/2015 10:51 AM
> Subject:        Re: New draft standards
> Sent by:        linux-audit-bounces@redhat.com
>

> Steve,
>
> The last place I was at heavily used Splunk and then transitioned to
dual-routing a substantial portion of the logs from across the
infrastructure to ELK, as well.