* [cip-dev] Kselftest implementation
@ 2021-04-13 17:29 Alice Ferrazzi
From: Alice Ferrazzi @ 2021-04-13 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi everyone,

I'm Alice Ferrazzi from Cybertrust Japan.
I'm currently working on adding Kselftest to the current CIP CI tests of
linux-cip Kernel

I made and tested kselftest on a testing instance of lava, currently tested
only on qemu x86_64
I implemented a simple skiplist in the kselftest envelope for skipping
tests that are currently not working.
The usage is similar to how spectre-meltdown-checker-test is currently
working.

Raw log:
http://140.211.166.173:10080/scheduler/job/329
Results list:
http://140.211.166.173:10080/results/329/1_kselftest

My idea is to start implementing kselftest tests for at least qemu x86_64
architecture and expand in the future to other architectures.
As Iwamatsu-san pointed, we need also to create kselftest binary.
I'm currently thinking of implementing kselftest binary creation mechanism
on linux-cip-ci kernel build script but I still didn't start to work on
this yet.

Kselftest test code:
https://gitlab.com/alice.ferrazzi/cip-kselftest

linux-cip Kernel Kselftest implementation (currently in draft):
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-cip-ci/-/merge_requests

Thanks,
Alice
--
======================================
Cybertrust Japan Co.,Ltd.

* Re: [cip-dev] Kselftest implementation
@ 2021-04-13 22:27 ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2021-04-13 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev, alice.ferrazzi

Hello Alice,

Thank you for your work on this!

> I made and tested kselftest on a testing instance of lava, currently tested
> only on qemu x86_64

If you'd like to test on a wider range of platforms then get in touch and we'll get you access to the CIP LAVA instance.

> I implemented a simple skiplist in the kselftest envelope for skipping tests
> that are currently not working.
> The usage is similar to how spectre-meltdown-checker-test is currently
> working.
>
> Raw log:
>
> http://140.211.166.173:10080/scheduler/job/329
> Results list:
> http://140.211.166.173:10080/results/329/1_kselftest

It looks like a great start.

> My idea is to start implementing kselftest tests for at least qemu x86_64
> architecture and expand in the future to other architectures.
> As Iwamatsu-san pointed, we need also to create kselftest binary.
>
> I'm currently thinking of implementing kselftest binary creation mechanism
> on linux-cip-ci kernel build script but I still didn't start to work on this yet.
>
> Kselftest test code:
>
> https://gitlab.com/alice.ferrazzi/cip-kselftest

Is there any work we can leverage from the Linaro test-definitions repo?
https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/tree/master/automated/linux/kselftest

KernelCI also recently implemented kselftest support if that's useful at all, this'll include the build side of things.
https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/tree/main/config/lava/kselftest

> linux-cip Kernel Kselftest implementation (currently in draft):
> https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-cip-ci/-/merge_requests

Please assign the MR to me when you're ready for it to be reviewed, or if you need any help.

Also let me know if you want write access to the linux-cip-ci repo.
If you push your branch to our repo directly the CI will be able to run, making it easier for you to test.

Kind regards, Chris

@ 2021-04-15  2:04   ` Alice Ferrazzi
From: Alice Ferrazzi @ 2021-04-15  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Paterson; +Cc: cip-dev

Hello Chris,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 7:27 AM Chris Paterson <Chris.Paterson2@renesas.com>
wrote:

> Hello Alice,

This would be nice!

> > I implemented a simple skiplist in the kselftest envelope for skipping
> tests
> > that are currently not working.
> > The usage is similar to how spectre-meltdown-checker-test is currently
> > working.
> >
> > Raw log:
> >
> > http://140.211.166.173:10080/scheduler/job/329
> > Results list:
> > http://140.211.166.173:10080/results/329/1_kselftest
>
> It looks like a great start.

Thanks

> > My idea is to start implementing kselftest tests for at least qemu x86_64
> > architecture and expand in the future to other architectures.
> > As Iwamatsu-san pointed, we need also to create kselftest binary.
> >
> > I'm currently thinking of implementing kselftest binary creation
> mechanism
> > on linux-cip-ci kernel build script but I still didn't start to work on
> this yet.
> >
> > Kselftest test code:
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/alice.ferrazzi/cip-kselftest

Is there any work we can leverage from the Linaro test-definitions repo?

> https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/tree/master/automated/linux/kselftest
>
> That was the first thing I tried out but was not working correctly on the
cip rootfs enviroment

> KernelCI also recently implemented kselftest support if that's useful at
> all, this'll include the build side of things.
> https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/tree/main/config/lava/kselftest

I know about KernelCI effort for kselftest and I think to use a similar
approach about the kselftest binary creation implementation.

The code I wrote is based on Glava-tests that is part of GKernelCI.
GKernelCI is the current Gentoo kernel CI system that is reporting and
collaborating with KernelCI.
https://github.com/GKernelCI/Glava-tests
Using a different repository currently is helpful for self managing the
skiplist, but it could be changed in the future.

> > linux-cip Kernel Kselftest implementation (currently in draft):
> > https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-cip-ci/-/merge_requests
>
> Please assign the MR to me when you're ready for it to be reviewed, or if
> you need any help.
>
> Also let me know if you want write access to the linux-cip-ci repo.
> If you push your branch to our repo directly the CI will be able to run,
> making it easier for you to test.

Testing the kselftest branch directly on CIP CI test environment from
linux-cip-ci
repo would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Alicef

--
======================================

@ 2021-04-22  7:34     ` Nobuhiro Iwamatsu
From: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu @ 2021-04-22  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev; +Cc: Chris Paterson

Thanks for your work.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 11:04:26AM +0900, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 7:27 AM Chris Paterson <Chris.Paterson2@renesas.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Alice,

As you write, cip rootfs lacks the software to run kselftest. Therefore,
it is necessary to make a separate flavor of rootfs.
There are also two types of cip rootfs, and we need to use either or
both for kernel testing.

> > KernelCI also recently implemented kselftest support if that's useful at
> > all, this'll include the build side of things.
> > https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/tree/main/config/lava/kselftest
> >

> I know about KernelCI effort for kselftest and I think to use a similar
> approach about the kselftest binary creation implementation.
>
> The code I wrote is based on Glava-tests that is part of GKernelCI.
> GKernelCI is the current Gentoo kernel CI system that is reporting and
> collaborating with KernelCI.
> https://github.com/GKernelCI/Glava-tests
> Using a different repository currently is helpful for self managing the
> skiplist, but it could be changed in the future.

I think this needs to be done first.
I also think there are several approaches to creating kselftest
binaries.

- Continue to use a particular kernel version of ksefltests.
- Use CIP kernel kselftest.
- Use the latest kernel kselftest.

I used to build an environment using the latter.

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/tree/ci/iwamatsu/linux-cip-kselftest

By the way, do you know which kernelci they are using?

> > > linux-cip Kernel Kselftest implementation (currently in draft):
> > > https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-cip-ci/-/merge_requests
> >
> > Please assign the MR to me when you're ready for it to be reviewed, or if
> > you need any help.
> >
> > Also let me know if you want write access to the linux-cip-ci repo.
> > If you push your branch to our repo directly the CI will be able to run,
> > making it easier for you to test.
> >

> Testing the kselftest branch directly on CIP CI test environment from
> linux-cip-ci
> repo would be really helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Alicef

Best regards,
  Nobuhiro

* Re: [cip-dev] Kselftest implementation
@ 2021-04-23  8:49       ` Alice Ferrazzi
From: Alice Ferrazzi @ 2021-04-23  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev