I finally cracked a nut that was at the root of our cross-compile woes with pyo3, which was the root cause of python3-cryptography not building. For those interested, my WIP branch is: https://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded-contrib/log/?h=timo/python3-cryptography_36.0.1 If someone is interested, figuring out why python3-setuptools-rust-native is not aware of where the crate:// fetcher puts things would be helpful. For now the hack is: CARGO_DISABLE_BITBAKE_VENDORING = "1" This is purely a hack and should not be necessary. Read the commit log for info. This is not the final form of this effort. --Tim