From: Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@acm.org>
To: Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com>
Cc: jbaron@redhat.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, joe@perches.com,
	gregkh@suse.de, gnb@fmeh.org
Subject: Re: [ patch 00/21 ] support multiple, pending ddebugs at kernel-boot
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:53:11 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Jim Cromie <jim.cromie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@acm.org> wrote:
>> As far as I can see with v2 of this patch set a query gets on the
>> pending list if either +a has been specified or no matches were found
>> the first time a query is run. Are both mechanisms necessary ? If not,
>> I propose to leave out the second. That will not only allow to
>> simplify the code somewhat but will also reduce confusion for
>> dynamic_printk users.
>>

> Both conditions are necessary:
> - 'a' flag required,
> - query not directly applicable.
>
> root@voyage:~# echo "module nosuch +p" > /dbg/dynamic_debug/control
> root@voyage:~# cat /sys/module/dynamic_debug/parameters/pending_ct
> 0
>
> root@voyage:~# echo "module nosuch +ap" > /dbg/dynamic_debug/control
> root@voyage:~# cat /sys/module/dynamic_debug/parameters/pending_ct
> 1

The above example contradicts the following code added in patch 09/21:

 	/* actually go and implement the change */
 	nfound = ddebug_change(&query, flags, mask);
+
+	pr_info("nfound %d on %s\n", nfound, show_ddebug_query(&query));
+	if (!nfound)
+		return ddebug_save_pending(&query, flags, mask);
+
 	return 0;

Bart.