From: Patrick Venture <venture@google.com>
To: "George Hung (洪忠敬)" <George.Hung@quantatw.com>
Cc: "OpenBMC Maillist (openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org)"
	<openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>,
	 "Patrick Venture (venture@google.com)" <venture@google.com>,
	"emilyshaffer@google.com" <emilyshaffer@google.com>,
	 "benjaminfair@google.com" <benjaminfair@google.com>,
	 "vernon.mauery@linux.intel.com" <vernon.mauery@linux.intel.com>,
	tomjoseph@in.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Sending I2C command via google-ipmi i2c
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 07:23:25 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:46 PM George Hung (洪忠敬)
<George.Hung@quantatw.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I’m trying to sending ipmi I2C command via google-ipmi-i2c extension,
>
> but I will get the response error, “Unspecified error” from ipmitool.
>

> There are the command and response example below:
>

> # ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x02 0x79 0x2b 0x00 1 0 0x98 0 1 0 0x99 0 2
>
> Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x2e lun=0x0 cmd=0x2 rsp=0xff): Unspecified error
>

> I check the error message from journal and it indicates that cannot open /dev/i2c-121 and I think it used the first byte of IANA number (0x79) as bus number.

I have a little breakout I use:
ipmitool -I dbus raw 0x2e 0x05 0xcf 0xc2 0x00 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00
                                 |--|    |--|    |------------|
|----------------------|
                                 |       |        |              |   reqBuf
                                 |       |        | oem group
                                 |       | command
                                 | netfn for oem

So 0x2e is the netfn, properly parsed.
So 0x02 is the command, properly parsed.
So 0x79 0x2b 0x00 is the OEM group
So 0x00 1 0 0x98 0 1 0 0x99 0 2 is the command payload

As you say, it sounds like there's a bug in parsing the length of the
OEM group number.  We haven't rebased onto the newest ipmid
downstream, so we haven't tested it ourselves.  But this sounds like a
bug in the new ipmid.

IIRC, they weren't properly handling OEM groups and recently fixed it.
Please specify the SHA1 of the phosphor-host-ipmid source you're using
to build this.