From: Bart Bogaerts <bartbogaerts@gmail.com>
To: Stefan Beller <sbeller@google.com>
Cc: "git@vger.kernel.org" <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Git mv -- submodule -- recursive
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 23:07:06 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi,

I tested this on git version 2.9 and it still fails (exactly the same
behaviour as on the stackoverflow post; also the workarounded I posted
there still works).
Some output showing the bug follows below:

bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
nothing to commit, working directory clean
bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $ git --version
git version 2.9.0
bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $ git mv fo-c-revisited/ 2016
bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $ git status
fatal: Not a git repository:
idp-latex/../../.git/modules/fo-c-revisited/modules/idp-latex
fatal: 'git status --porcelain' failed in submodule 2016/fo-c-revisited
bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $ rm
2016/fo-c-revisited/idp-latex/.git
bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $ git submodule update
bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Changes to be committed:
  (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)

modified:   .gitmodules
renamed:    fo-c-revisited -> 2016/fo-c-revisited

bartb@EB-Latitude-E5450 ~/Documents/papers $

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Bart Bogaerts <bartbogaerts@gmail.com> wrote:
>> With a repo structured as follows
>>
>> main-files
>> |- submod
>>     |- subsubmodule
>>
>> git mv submod newlocation
>>
>> does not do what it is supposed to do. It actually breaks the git repository.
>> It can be fixed easily.
>> A complete description of the bug, including a workaround, can be found on
>> http://stackoverflow.com/q/32782382/2274140
>
> Which version of Git are you using?
> I think this is fixed in a127331cd81233 (mv: allow moving nested
> submodules, 2016-04-19), which is first included in v2.8.3
> (or v2.9 and later).
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan
>

>> --