Junio C Hamano writes: > Karthik Nayak writes: > >> 2. We change the syntax to something like >> >> symref-update SP SP [SP (ref | oid >> )] LF >> >> this would remove any ambiguity since the user specifies the data type >> they're providing. > > Yup. Being explicit helps, especially if you are only dealing with > programs that do not complain "that's too many keystrokes" like > pesky humans ;-). > > When the topic's overall title is to add support for symbolic refs > to the update-ref command, a natural expectation is that in a far > enough future everything that can be done with "git symbolic-ref" > can be done with "git update-ref" and we can, if we wanted to, > depreate "git symbolic-ref". Is that really what is going on here? > > IOW, we should add support for operation modes other than "--stdin" > as well, shouldn't we? > > Thanks. That's a good point, I was thinking of something like this too, but didn't want to bloat this series. Would it make sense to add this functionality in a follow up series with the cleanup that Patrick mentioned [1] too? [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/ZidXrdi7hXdAnDhy@tanuki/