* SimpleStorage proposals
@ 2021-05-19  7:57 Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖)
From: Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖) @ 2021-05-19  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: bradleyb, Ed Tanous, Nan Zhou

Hi all,

In order to implement the feature to view simple storage device status, such SATA HDD presence status.
We propose to implement it on the Redfish SimpleStorage URI.

As our proposal for Redfish SimpleStorage, https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/43352
And an new daemon, https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/43351

There are two new dbus-interfaces to be proposed,
xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.StorageDevice: here is an empty interface just mark the dbus path that SimpleStorage Manager should collect.
xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.SimpleStorage: it should have the properties redfish needs, and can be parser by bmcweb.

The details are in the proposal.

Welcome and thank you for comments and suggestions

Best regards,
Jun-Lin Chen

* Re: SimpleStorage proposals
@ 2021-05-19 20:43 ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2021-05-19 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖); +Cc: openbmc, bradleyb, Nan Zhou

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 12:57 AM Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖)
<Jun-Lin.Chen@quantatw.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> In order to implement the feature to view simple storage device status, such SATA HDD presence status.
>
> We propose to implement it on the Redfish SimpleStorage URI.
>

> As our proposal for Redfish SimpleStorage, https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/43352
>
> And an new daemon, https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/43351
>

> There are two new dbus-interfaces to be proposed,
>
> xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.StorageDevice: here is an empty interface just mark the dbus path that SimpleStorage Manager should collect.
>
> xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.SimpleStorage: it should have the properties redfish needs, and can be parser by bmcweb.

How does this differ from xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Drive?
They look fairly similar;  We generally don't name dbus interfaces
after Redfish directly.  We should reuse what already exists where
possible, and only invent new things where needed.

You've also omitted what properties you're trying to target.  Could
you walk through a little bit about what you're trying to accomplish
with this?  (beyond just "implement the redfish schemas).  Are you
trying to get smart data?  just inventory information?  Do you plan to
represent connections?

@ 2021-05-19 21:26   ` Nan Zhou
From: Nan Zhou @ 2021-05-19 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖), bradleyb

Thanks for your reply, Ed!

> You've also omitted what properties you're trying to target.  Could
> you walk through a little bit about what you're trying to accomplish
> with this?  (beyond just "implement the redfish schemas).  Are you
> trying to get smart data?  just inventory information?  Do you plan to
> represent connections?

As a first step, we are only going to implement three properties, Name,
Presence, and PowerStatus. We don't plan to represent connections at the
moment.

@ 2021-05-19 21:40     ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2021-05-19 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nan Zhou; +Cc: openbmc, bradleyb, Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖)

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 2:27 PM Nan Zhou <nanzhou@google.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, Ed!
>

>> You've also omitted what properties you're trying to target.  Could
>> you walk through a little bit about what you're trying to accomplish
>> with this?  (beyond just "implement the redfish schemas).  Are you
>> trying to get smart data?  just inventory information?  Do you plan to
>> represent connections?
>

> As a first step, we are only going to implement three properties, Name, Presence, and PowerStatus. We don't plan to represent connections at the moment.

I'm assuming these will be the dbus properties names, as redfish
doesn't really have a presence property or a powerstatus property.
With that said, that seems reasonable to me to want to do, but we need
to make sure we're clear on how this differs from the existing Drive
interfaces.

@ 2021-05-19 22:14       ` Nan Zhou
From: Nan Zhou @ 2021-05-19 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: openbmc, bradleyb, Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖)

> > Thanks for your reply, Ed!
> >

> >> You've also omitted what properties you're trying to target.  Could
> >> you walk through a little bit about what you're trying to accomplish
> >> with this?  (beyond just "implement the redfish schemas).  Are you
> >> trying to get smart data?  just inventory information?  Do you plan to
> >> represent connections?
> >

> > As a first step, we are only going to implement three properties, Name,
> Presence, and PowerStatus. We don't plan to represent connections at the
> moment.
> I'm assuming these will be the dbus properties names, as redfish
> doesn't really have a presence property or a powerstatus property.
> With that said, that seems reasonable to me to want to do, but we need
> to make sure we're clear on how this differs from the existing Drive
> interfaces.

Hi Ed, the presence I am talking about is kind of a logical concept. You
can find the dbus and redfish properties in the proposal. I believe we plan
to use the following mappings,

dbus                             redifish
 logical
State(enabled)       Device#Status#State             If state is "enabled",
the device is considered present.
Health(OK)            Device#Status#Heatlth(OK)   If health is "OK", the
device is considered present and its current status is OK (its power should
be OK at least).

@ 2021-05-21  1:51       ` Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖)
From: Jun-Lin Chen (陳俊霖) @ 2021-05-21  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
>> You've also omitted what properties you're trying to target.  Could
>> you walk through a little bit about what you're trying to accomplish
>> with this?  (beyond just "implement the redfish schemas).  Are you
>> trying to get smart data?  just inventory information?  Do you plan
>> to represent connections?
>

> As a first step, we are only going to implement three properties, Name, Presence, and PowerStatus. We don't plan to represent connections at the moment.

I'm assuming these will be the dbus properties names, as redfish doesn't really have a presence property or a powerstatus property.
With that said, that seems reasonable to me to want to do, but we need to make sure we're clear on how this differs from the existing Drive interfaces.

After question in redfish forum, https://redfishforum.com/thread/483/different-storage-simplestorage
We got SimpleStorage was the early model in Redfish for showing storage devices, and "Devices" in this resource do equate to drives.
We would use xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Drive instead xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.SimpleStorage to represent our storage device.